Psst! May Donor Rewards and the Roleplaying Preferences & Canon Activity surveys will all be closing on May 31, 2019!
The region encompassing England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland while the Triwizard Tournament is under way at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry.
Forum rules: When starting your thread, please put a location [Tag] at the beginning of it, such as [England] or [Scotland]. Use broad locations if possible, though more detailed descriptions are welcome for specific locations such as schools. Once your thread is complete, be sure to mark and report it as complete to be archived.

Roger Donoghue, The Daily Prophet

Metamorphmagi Magical ★ Investigative Journalist
Location: Meeting room in Dorset, England • Date: March, 1996

Roger knew that he was new to the reporting game, and as much as he wanted to explore the fun of murders and crimes, he knew a great way to gain popularity was through a beloved sport. Sure, he wasn't exactly working for the Quidditch Monthly Star or whatever it was called, but he could certainly gain a growing reputation from an interview like this. Once he got his feet off the ground, he would surely be renowned. That, and he knew that the topic qould have some intrigue involved.

After giving Aidan the correct address and time, Roger helped himself to coffee that had been supplied by the building's catering team. He was always thankful to the office complex that didn't mind renting out meeting rooms; it certainly helped to avoid other reporters trying to get in on his allotted time. He set his quick quill quotes up, sure that no muggles would be preset around this area.

With that, he was ready for his interview participant to arrive.

Played By: Vyreia

Aidan Sullivan, Intl. Quidditch Association

Magical ★ Seeker • Wimbourne Wasps
Aidan tried to make sure he was on time. Fortunately this was more or less in his backyard so that wasn't hard, especially when he had his signature broom to get him around. This also meant he could keep his appearance clean. His dark brown hair was nicely brushed, his black jacket and crimson tie were pressed and he managed to maintain his winning smile. Once he arrived he slid his broom into the briefcase he carried with him.

He was looking forward to another interview. Anything for good publicity would be huge. People were on edge after last year's world cup and that was bad for his paycheck. However a few nice words and good pictures and he was sure that if all the major figures put on a beaver face, popularity would come back. Aidan took one short breath before walking into the room.

"Mr. Donoghue. Hope I didn't keep you waiting long."

Played By: Specs

Roger lifted his head, turning his attention away from his coffee cup as he heard the door open. As Aidan entered, he gave a pressed smile and nodded. Without hesitation, he stepped forward and offered his hand for a shake, quite used to these sorts of interviews despite it not being his actual forte. Regardless, her was here to get the story, and he certainly would.

"Not at all. Please, call me Roger; it's better than a lot of names I've been called." He jested, though it was an actual truth. "Help yourself to tea and coffee, especially since it was free with the room rental - if anything, take some speciality teabags home with you. I know I will be."

As subtle as ever. Roger soon seated himself, poking his magical quill to get ready to write. Waiting for Aidan to get comfortable, Roger wasted little time after to jump right into it.

"So, Mr. Sullivan, you are competing in some major events soon, including the Quidditch World Cup. How are you feeling? Excited? Nervous? Anxious?"

Aidan returned then man's firm hand shake before taking a seat. This was just another interview and he needed a good image right now. Of course the next World Cup was coming up and things were tense. After last year, the IQA was in a whirlwind trying its best to seem on the up and up.

Aidan straightened his posture as he stole a quick glance to an all-too-familiar acid green quill, already scribbling away taking copious, detailed notes. It served as a constant symbol to remind Aidan and undoubtedly countless others to watch what they say.

"I couldn't be more excited for the World Cup. I don't want to brag, but I think the Wasps have a real shot at it this year. Plus Ballycastle is doing well this year and getting to play with some of my former teammates definitely makes the World Cup that much more fun."

Roger nodded, taking a sip of his coffee and looking at the other over the top of his cup. He placed it down, knowing very well the way he was going to try and form this interview. It was one thing to speak about the excitement, but there was something else brewing on people's minds, and he knew it. People needed to know how the Quidditch stars felt about the whole situations, that, and it was incredibly juicy gossip.

"Of course. It must be good to experience a new team. Although, some of the Ballycastle fans have been saying that you used their team as a social climb, a simple career climb toward more well known teams. There's a rumour going around that you plan to join the English National team after this. Is that right?" He lifted a brow.

Aidan had heard this question before. Lesser known was certainly subjective, especially since he was pretty sure Ballycastle had more cups then Wimbourne currently. However Aidan wasn't about to draw lines in the sand just yet. The best he could do is offer as honest and diplomatic an answer as possible.

"I love the passion fans of mine have, especially when I was a rookie player for the Bats. I don't plan on joining either the English or Irish teams right now. If I'm lucky enough to be considered for either then I'll consider that a massive career milestone. But I was born in the 70s, then tension between England and Ireland was brutal back then. I'm just hoping to put it behind us and enjoy a round of quidditch."

Roger considered the answer for a moment, nodding carefully. That was a good way to approach that question, he thought. Not likely to get him the amount of talkers or gossipers, but it was better than replying with 'no comment'.

"I see. I would hope any bad blood with the conflict would be over now, though nothing is certain. But speaking of conflict..." He leaned forward, looking at Aidan carefully. "Many players have taken breaks from Quidditch after the big incident at the last world cup - do you understand that action? Did you not consider a break? Does last time affect how you feel about major events?"

"I don't blame them. What happened at last year's world cup was tragic. I knew some of the people who played for the Irish team and I'm worried some of them might never pick up a broom again. But the IQA isn't shying away from it. They'll do everything they can to make the world cup as safe as possible. Admittedly I'm more worried about that Viktor Krum. He's a damn fine seeker and I'd be nervous about going into the pitch against him."

Aidan thought about it and he admittedly wasn't totally convinced of his own answer. The IQA did a lot, but no one could deny seeing that symbol in the sky. It instilled an almost primal fear in most people, and for good reason. Aidan decided to focus on the other questions to keep his mind away from it.

"I never considered a break personally. Short answer is I have bills to play. Longer answer is I want people to go and love quidditch, and the only way for the sport to recover is to press forward, not shy away from it."

Roger nodded his head. "A brave aspect to take, I think. Going back to something like that can definitely be difficult, and it appears as though other players are in the same mindset."

He glanced over to his pad, looking at the quill writing away, checking the notes. Satisfied, he looked back to Aidan.

"As safe as the IQA are wanting to make it, there have been multiple rumours stating that Harry Potter could be a cause of disruption. Do you believe this too? What are your opinions on people who have designed these rumours?"

Aidan was actually a bit surprised by the question. Harry Potter, the Boy Who Lived, being a disruption to quidditch? Aidan couldn't imagine it, even if he did hear some rumors that the boy wizard was at last years cup. However the same could be said for a lot of people and only some of the people there were guilty of that terrorism. The idea that Harry Potter would've, or even could have done something to that magnitude while he was still being educated on the basics of magic was honestly pretty baffling.

"Harry Potter? I'm sorry but the idea that a fourteen year old boy, even Harry Potter, can disrupt the entirety of the sport of quidditch is rubbish. Of course I don't want to speak down on Mr. Potter. If it weren't for him I don't want to imagine the world we'd be living in. However, if Mr. Potter truly is that competent, I believe that maybe the boy should be looking into a Ministry career rather than trying to unndermine the IQA."

"Mmm, interesting perspective." He stated, lifting his chin and taking a long sip of coffee, examining Aidan over the rim of his cup. Finally, he placed it back down.

"Well, yes. As I said, rumours may be just that, rumours. Some people have nothing better than to make up fables for entertainment." This was really like the pot calling the kettle black, right now. "But in that notion, do you not believe that the IQA has a lot of influence over young minds? As sport stars, individually, there may not be much of an impact. But the entire association surely must have a certain ideal to pass, right? If that's the case, what would you say to any young readers right now; what would you say to inspire them?"

The Irish seeker was well aware that rumors were potent tools of entertainment. He was pretty sure that's how Rita Skeeter had a job. However he wasn't about to antagonize some that probably worked with her. Instead he got up and began to doctor a bit of tea.

"That's easy. Of course me, my teammates, and every other professional player has a lot of influence over the minds of young witches and wizards. So with that knowledge, I would say I was just a young boy once who tried very hard to make something amazing happen. I am also of the firm belief that anyone is capable of doing the same."

Roger smirked.

"Is that really the case, though? do you not believe that those born into circumstance get it a little easier? For example, let's use Harry Potter again - do you believe he receives better treatment for being 'the boy who lived'? Or perhaps someone like Hera York, a well known and wealthy aristocrat, do you think she will be given better or worse treatment for where she comes from?"

He leaned back, looking over to him expectantly.

[ View OOC Note ]

"I'm not saying people in that place don't have things a bit easier. However I didn't have that kind of privilege growing up and I managed to make it. Plus even in places of that privilege, there's still plenty of hardship. Radically different, mind you, but I don't think it's unfair to say that it's there."

Somehow Aidan doubted Harry Potter had things necessarily easier. In that specific case, Aidan couldn't imagine the level of expectation surrounding the young wizard, but was pretty sure that Aidan himself wanted none of it. As for Hera, it was a similar position. The constant judgement of society watching every move that she made, or Aidan made, or anyone in that position made created it's own struggle and made privacy a luxury that was difficult to come by.

Roger nodded. It was a shame that Aidan was so good at deflecting his baiting, otherwise this may have been a juicy column. But, perhaps this was going to simply be a flattering piece for the man.

"Alright. Last question. There's been rumours that after the next competition, a bunch of players will be hosting a large meet and greet event, perhaps a tour around the UK - even Europe. Is this something you would want to happen? And if so, would you attend?"

[ View OOC Note ]