A Magical Roleplaying Experience 

#12813  by Genevieve Tailler

Genevieve always thought it was a tad presumptuous to end meetings like this with a party. It was like patting yourself on the back for a job well done before you even knew if it was a job well done. She was resigned to the fact that this was just how it was and she had to bite her tongue and go with it. Pierre had agreed with her that it was ridiculous but he had made looking like he enjoyed these gatherings so easy. Then again, Pierre had been widely liked by his peers in international cooperation.

Genevieve did not feel like she was that well liked.

She'd basically spent the last two days in a tense deadlock with her counterpart in the Wizardthing while the American tried to mediate. She had no reason to be patting herself on the back for a job well done.

She finished off a glass of champagne and her conversation with some associates and made a beeline for one of the waiters serving hors d'ouvres. She was hungry and ready to drown her feelings of inadequacy and loneliness in stuffed mushrooms and savory shrimp puffs.
 #13146  by Oliver Sanders

Oliver hated parties.

He hated them with a passion, and to make matters worse, Anthony hadn't been able to come to this one. He usually ended up standing in the corner with a glass of champagne, trying not to look too miserable or the waiters would take pity on him and try to serve him more servings of stuffed mushrooms than he had any business eating. Unfortunately, a meeting about foreign policy was an important meeting for him to attend, especially since immigration standards had come up, and he had been swept up in the world of bureaucrats and politicians when all he wanted to do was sit in his hotel room and order room service while scrying with Anthony at the shop.

Go figure.

After the fifth stuffed mushroom serving, Oliver knew the waiter had figured out he was standing there alone, and decided to move to a different spot. As he wandered through the crowd, the man noticed one of the dignitaries, the woman from France, approaching the shrimp puffs waiter. He figured it would at least be something different on his palate, and he followed her. Might as well even try to socialize, what a concept.

"Enjoying the party?" he asked, taking two servings of the shrimp puffs and offering one to the woman. Somehow, he even managed to contort his face into a pleasant smile.
 #13860  by Genevieve Tailler

Viv was midway through devouring a stuffed mushroom when she was approached my someone. It was bad, and she knew it, that her first thought was how she did not want to be bothered by anyone. She did not recognize the man that was talking to her and so she was immediately suspicious of his intentions. Journalists were not supposed to be at the event but they always found ways to sneak in.

"I'm having a pleasant time," she replied after she finished her mushroom and took the shrimp puff, "and you, Monsieur...?"
 #14096  by Oliver Sanders

Oliver couldn’t blame her for not recognizing him. He wasn’t exactly a well known politician. That was why he always hated being at these Ministry galas. He simply wasn’t important enough, in his opinion. It was times like these where he really missed being out in the fields.

He ate his shrimp puff. “Glad to hear it,” he said. Then, “Sanders. Oliver Sanders, Immigrations Director out in Chicago,” he introduced himself. “I’m not usually part of events like this, but apparently this time they wanted opinions from someone who’s seen the policies in action.”
 #14345  by Genevieve Tailler

So he was not a journalist. That revelation made Viv relax a bit.

"Its a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Monsieur Sanders," she extended a hand, "Genevieve Tailler, International Magical Cooperation Department Head, French Ministry."

She doubted a formal introduction was needed. She was a high profile guest and someone with his job would know who she was, or at least she hoped.

"Tell me, were you director during the Brits war? I know the United States saw a large number of refugees, as did we."
 #14546  by Oliver Sanders

Oliver nodded, clearly impressed. There were some people who said he should make a reach for a higher position, perhaps Foreign Affairs, but truth be told, he didn't care about that. He wanted to do what he had been doing for years, not get himself even more wrapped up in red tape. He appreciated people who did that, though. "The pleasure is all mine," he replied, taking her hand and shaking it, hoping that was all she expected.

At her question, he thought back. "No, I wasn't. My predecessor was, though, and I was working in the field. The refugees wouldn't have wanted to see me, though. I looked for the ones who weren't following the rules." It hit him suddenly that he had held this job for nearly two years. Two years of sitting behind a desk. "It was a challenging time, I remember."
 #18784  by Genevieve Tailler

Ah. So he was a man who went from the field to the desk. She knew nothing of that life. She had always worked behind a desk.

"It was," she nodded in agreement, "thankfully it did not last too long."

While she may still be dealing the political side-effects of the war she was happy to see that for the most part things had returned to normal. They had very few issues with refugees now.
 #18975  by Oliver Sanders

Oliver nodded solemnly. "Thankfully, indeed. I never liked the raids. I liked being out and about, though... it feels like I don't get to do enough of that these days. I'm better at pretending I'm good at desk work, though," he added with a quick chuckle.

"Then again, there was a reason they promoted me. I just never understood why, since I was never shy about wanting to stay in the field until I retired." Was he bitter? Not at all. Two years was a long time, more than enough to come to terms with his role.
 #19439  by Genevieve Tailler

"Well, there is value in having someone that knows how to work in the field running things behind the desk. In my opinion, its much better than having someone who's never spend a day in the field running things," Genevieve offered as she grabbed a flute of champagne off a passing tray.

"You're the boss. I'm sure you could find a way to get back out in the field every once in a while."
 #19756  by Oliver Sanders

Oliver nodded slowly. "You have a point," he agreed, rubbing the back of his neck. "Not that the guy before me didn't have any experience, of course. Then again, though... I might just give myself field authorization. There's some interesting field work coming up, but you didn't hear that from me," he added with a wink. Then he heard his name. "You'll have to excuse me. It's been a pleasure, ma'am. I hope you enjoy your time in America," he said, giving her a nod before turning to go see who wanted to talk to him.