[Hogwarts] Wingman

Sirius Black,

Another day, another partner-in-crime busy snogging his girlfriend instead of focusing on the important things in life. The second-floor u-bend wasn't going to vanish itself! The nerve of him, spending all his time locking lips with that Davies prat leaving Sirius to spend his time on extra-credit coursework with Moony! Wormtail meanwhile was spending his fifth night of detention in a row for an utterly miserable attempt at pranking on his own. If Prongs knew what Wormtail had tried doing....

And thus the scorned friend continued his grumbling down the hallway, thinking only of what he'd do to Prongs once he cornered him at the lake...

Re: [Hogwarts] Wingman

Lily Evans,

Lily swiped at the tears on her cheeks. Despite her best efforts, she couldn't stop crying. James had kissed her, and she had liked it, really liked it, but she knew that he was with Meiriona Davies and she would never do anything to jeopardize that. It all made her head spin, and as she wandered through the halls, she kept hoping that she wouldn't run into anyone, especially not another Gryffindor.

As she rounded a corner, her worst fears were realized. Up ahead was none other than James Potter's best friend, and if she had wanted to avoid a single person more than anyone else in the castle, Sirius Black was that person. She glanced from side to side, spying a door and opening it, ducking inside the... broom closet.

She had had enough with broom closets for the rest of her Hogwarts experience. But the broom closet was safer than being out in the hall, and she hoped Sirius had not seen her.

Sirius Black,

Grumpy as he was, Sirius was a Gryffindor, and when a maiden in distress came running into a broom closet, his Gryffindor senses took over. Tucking his hair behind his ear, and giving it a good smoothing-over, Sirius adjusted his face into a concerned expression and opened the door.

"Hey," he said softly, "Everything all ri-" the question died in his throat. "Evans?!"

Lily Evans,

Lily jumped as the door opened, then shied away to the corner, now hoping he wouldn't recognize her. Unfortunately, he did. She turned back to him, her eyes red-rimmed from crying, and offered a small shrug, trying to put on the appearance of nonchalance.

"Black. I'm fine," she mumbled, playing with the ends of her hair. "Just tired."

Sirius Black,

The sheer awkwardness of the situation fought a valiant battle against his instinct to help those in their time of need. The result was...something of a compromise. Sirius kept his distance, but didn't leave.

"Most people don't cry when they're tired," he observed, though kindly. "McGonagall give you a bad mark? Or did Slughorn make you dissect a sloth brain for Potions?" He knew it wasn't about school, though. Slughorn doted on Evans, and he had never known Evans to cry over schoolwork. He had a feeling about why Evans was crying, but he didn't want to go there yet. Exhaust the other options first. Maybe his instincts were wrong.

Lily Evans,

Curse his perceptiveness. Lily sighed, leaning against one of the shelves and trying to ignore the thoughts that crept up, reminding her of the last time her back had been to the shelves in a broom closet, conveniently only a few minutes earlier...

She quickly stood up straight, as though she had been burned by the shelves, and pushed past Black to the hall, where at least she wouldn't have any troublesome memories bothering her. "School's fine," she muttered as soon as she turned around. Then, she sighed once more. "Have you ever had feelings for someone you shouldn't?" A beat. "Someone unavailable?" she clarified.

Lily was probably going to regret this, since Black was so close to James, but she needed to talk about it with someone.

Sirius Black,

Eeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmm. Sirius rubbed the back of his neck. "Are you talking about.....who I think you're talking about?"

Lily Evans,

Well, this certainly was awkward. Lily bit her lip, staring down at the floor. "I don't know. Who do you think I'm talking about?" she asked, trying to delay the inevitable. She shifted uncomfortably, holding her arm.

Sirius Black,

"Well," Sirius ran a hand through his hair, "I think you're talking about my mate."

Lily Evans,

Sometimes she could have sworn James and Sirius shared a brain. Lily sighed, leaning back against the wall. “Okay, yeah. Don’t,” she stressed that word, “tell him about this. Anyway. He’s obviously still with Meiriona Davies, so what should I do?’

Sirius Black,

This......was not his field. People came to Sirius to date him, yes, but they certainly didn't come to him for dating advice. Especially not people like Evans...who was interested in Prongs....who already had a girlfriend.

"Er, find someone else?" he offered unhelpfully. "I mean," Sirius swallowed and started to regain a sense of reason. "My mate's a pretty sexy bloke, let's be honest. It's not hard to like the guy. And sometimes girls like guys who are taken, since it makes the guy look more popular, right? So really, you've got to ask yourself, why exactly do you like him? Is it just because he's with Davies, or is it because of something else?" Sirius shrugged. "And last time I checked you thought he was a world-class prat. And poisonous toadstools - no offense - don't change their spots, so why would your opinion of him change?"

Sirius bit his lip. He may have gone a touch to far with that last remark.

Lily Evans,

Lily was about ready to turn on her heels and walk off. Sirius wasn't being helpful in the least, and she had better things to do, like go to her dorm and cry a little. Or maybe visit the owlery and send a note home. Anything but listen to Sirius ramble about girls liking guys who are taken.

And then came the final comment. Her eyes flashed, and she crossed her arms in front of her in an attempt to keep herself from grabbing her wand and hexing him right there. "I'll have you know we've become friends this year," she snapped, tears threatening to fall at the corners of her eyes, "and just who are you calling a poisonous toadstool, anyway?" Her fingers clenched as she glared up at the boy.

Sirius Black,

"Ahhheerrrrrr," his hunch proven right, Sirius's mind raced to backtrack itself. "Wait, hang on a minute, friends? Pro-er-James never told me that!" Oh he was going to have a sirius talk with his mate, that he was, "How in Merlin's name did that happen? How come I've never heard of this?"

Lily Evans,

Lily glanced up at him, her lip now quivering. "Wait... you mean... you're his best friend, and he and I have grown cl-close, and he never t-told you?!?" she asked, squeezing her eyes shut and turning her head away in a futile attempt to hide the fact that tears were now falling. "I... I can't... I don't..." she couldn't get words out as a strangled sob escaped her throat.

With that, she turned on her heels and ran off to wallow in her misery alone.