Re: [NYC] The Main Course

"And you don't need to explain it to me, My Lady." She toyed with the utensils she had left next to the plate of food she wouldn't touch until the third plate had been added. "But I do know that these things can be complicated." As well as exciting and enticing. The conversation made her long for Anna's soft lips and Tussio strong grip.
Surprisingly Madeline found herself nodding incredibly slowly, the glass she was clutching lowering as she peered at the blonde across from her. "You have something similar with this Anna?" She asked carefully, hoping to find more equal footing with the woman.

Harriet didn't want to lie nor was she intent on shocking the Englishwoman. With a glint of mischievousness in her eyes she offered the woman a small smile. "I wouldn't say that it is complicated as we have a clear understanding of each other's expectations, but there are big risks that come with such relationships." She felt like their risks were lessened by the fear the accorsis instilled in most, but there were still risks.

"How do you feel about her? If I might be so bold." She didn't mean to pry, she was simply trying to have a better understanding.
The English woman nodded again. She certainly understood the risks, but with being so far away from home, Madeline found her own personal risks had decreased, but some still existed. She wasn't completely safe and she probably never would be. People would always judge her, hate her and that was a fact she had come to terms with a long time ago.

"How do I feel about her?" Madeline repeated, her brows furrowing at the question. How Madeline felt about Caterina had never been something she had ever even thought about it. Cat was her closet friend, her neighbor and her lover. She loved the redhead woman dearly, but was she in love with her? No, no she wasn't. Cat was a widow who had loved her husband of three years immensely, something Madeline had only encountered once in her life. It was that exact reason as to why Lady Madeline Blythe had been living in America for the last ten years.

Her gaze turned to the door Caterina had disappeared through, and she pursed her lips, "Caterina is my dearest friend. I don't know what I would do with out her."

"I can see how she could become indispensable." Caterina was pleasant and Harriet found herself growing fonder and fonder of her candor. "Those feelings are nothing to be ashamed of." Harriet truly believed that.
"I know," Madeline was quick to respond. Her feelings for Caterina were absolutely nothing to be ashamed of, but what they did behind closed doors--and that one time in public against a tree after Cat had swished her wand about--was what she was ashamed of, or what she should be ashamed of. When she wasn't faced with a complete stranger who had witnessed something strictly private, Madeline couldn't help but feel ashamed. Her fathers words ringing in her ears.

"I'm not ashamed," She continued, her gaze becoming hard as she stared at Harriet, "But I am a private person and having someone witness...that is more than a little embarrassing."

"I'm sorry you feel embarrassed, My Lady." She apologized with a gentle smile. "is there anything I can do to appease you?" She had tried offering the woman one of her wonderful concoctions, but apparently the woman was not interested. "Shall I share a secret of my own?" She offered with a wink.
At the gentle smile and soft words, Madeline found her body relaxing and felt her heart slow to a normal thump, thump, thump. Harriet was being incredibly patient and understanding with her, which was surprising enough, but the easiness that she felt sitting across from her had Madeline wondering whether she was still asleep and hadn't woken from her afternoon nap.

"I don't think that's necessary," She responded with her first, natural smile of the evening. "I believe you when you say you're trustworthy and hold no judgement, but I still feel the need to tell you that discretion is much appreciated." Perhaps Madeline had found herself another ally.
"Thank you for this," Caterina murmured to the taller woman who stood in the harsh light of her kitchen in a dressing gown and a sleep cap atop her curls. Diana had retreated upstairs just after she had served dinner and calling the woman back down to put together another plate for Madeline was something Cat felt immensely guilty for. She should have done it herself, because once she had told Diana who it was for, the auburn haired woman had become stony face and silent. Diana had never been particularly supportive of the relationship she had with her Ordinary neighbor but she was usually pretty good with keeping her thoughts and feelings about it to herself. Her face however, Diana's face told her everything she needed to know.

Diana nodded and then pushed away from the counter, "I'm going to retire for the rest of the night. I shall see you tomorrow." Disappearing through the kitchen door, Cat listened as soft soled shoes made their way upstairs.

She had just passed through the threshold of her drawing room and was about to enter the dining room when she heard Madeline speaking in a low tone. She did sound much more at ease however, and Cat couldn't help but smile as she came into view.

"Harriet understands, Madeline. She can be just as discrete about this as us, if not more."

Caterina wasn't wrong. Given her profession Harriet witnessed many important figures partaking in various frowned upon activities, her discretion was in many ways her bread and butter. If the club didn't offer the curtesy of discretion her patrons would flee like rats escaping a sinking ship.

"You can count on my discretion." Harriet looked at Madeline, then Caterina.

Hoping they were both ready to move on she looked at the drink she had offered Lady Madeline. "Caterina can testify to my mixologist skills." She gave the woman another smile.
Her shoulder jerked at the sound of Caterina's voice appearing behind her, but otherwise she kept her gaze on the blonde woman in front of her. Whether Harriet could remain quiet about what she had witnessed was yet to be seen, but Caterina seemed happy to move on so Madeline would try as well.

"I'm sure it's lovely, but again, I'll have to pass." She smiled and when Caterina appeared in her peripheral vision, she moved her gaze to the other woman as she placed a plate in front of her.

"Thank you," She murmured, a kind expression taking over her face as she looked at the auburn haired woman.
"Your welcome," Caterina mouthed, winking as she took her seat and picked up her own fork. She waved it at the drink Harriet spoke of, the same one Madeline had quite obviously pushed away. The decision did not surprise her, Madeline had a very specific taste when it came to alcohol and if it wasn't wine or any type of wine variable, she wouldn't drink it. She had managed to convince the woman to indulge her in sharing a glass of whiskey once, but Caterina had quickly deduced that when it came to anything hard, Madeline was light weight. The next day the English woman had told her about her first experience with liquor and Caterina had spent the whole morning trying to get the woman to forgive her for laughing. Madeline was still a little sensitive about the subject.

Caterina's little Otter.

"Don't be offended," She said to Harriet, "Miss Blythe has her preferences and not even your sublime mixologist skills will change that."

"I can respect a woman who knows what she wants." Harriet said almost seductively before she straightened up. What was wrong with her? Caterina was right there in front of her. How dare she act so daring when she had just witnessed the two kissing.

She went back to her plate, took a few forkful and pretended to be enthralled with the meal.
Caterina's eyebrows shot up at Harriet's tone, an amused look crossing her features as she gazed at Harriet before turning to eye the English woman who was staring across at the table at Harriet with a curious look. Madeline, like her, had obviously picked up on the way Harriet had just spoken and obviously didn't know how to proceed. Well luckily, Caterina did.

"Oh, she knows what she wants alright," The redhead said, nearly laughing when Madeline snapped her head around to stare at her. Caterina slipped her foot out of her kitten heel and ran her stocking covered foot up the woman's leg. Madeline swallowed.

Oblivious to the movements taking place beneath the table Harriet continued chewing her food in silence.

"That's wonderful." And like that she would take herself out of the equation. Because apparently what Madeline wanted was Caterina.