RP • While these stories must take place within the setting of the Harry Potter books, they may contain alternate plot lines or endings that occur in the books.
Forum rules: 
You are posting in a Freeform Sandbox Forum!
Freeform Sandbox OverviewSandbox PlottingPosting Templates
For additional BBCode templates, click here.
:astonished: # 1

Alatariel, Active Player

Amelia Bones ★ Witch ★ Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement
Amelia Bones was often referred to as one of the greatest witches of her time. She'd always been talented, but she'd taken special care to ensure that she was also skilled.

Still when He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named broke into her home intent on killing her, Amelia had been terrified, and she was old enough now that she wasn't above admitting it. Fear however, was a useful tool, and the witch had clung to that fear as she fought off the wizards attacks. Fear meant she was alive, and she damned well intended on staying that way.

It had been completely accidental, managing to clip the bastard in the shoulder with a nasty hex, but it had been enough to knock him off balance and give her the opening she had been looking for. Apparating while injured and so very distracted had been a risky move, but she had managed it, even if she'f left herself open for one final attack. Why Voldemort hadn't cast the killing curse at her fleeing back, she didn't know, but whatever he had sent her way had caused such pain that before she even appeared outside the gates of Hogwarts, she had fell unconscious.

It might have been hours, days, years spent drifting through a haze of warmth and pleasantness, she really didn't know, but when she felt a small tendril of pain slivering up her spine, and consciousness flitted near the edges of her safe haven, Amelia did her best to cling viciously to whatever refuge she had been in. Consciousness seemed to be more of a formidable opponent however, and soon Amelia found herself blinking up at an unfamiliar ceiling. The room swayed and dipped around her, and her stomach screamed in protest.

"Stop," She moaned, wanting whoever, whatever, was making the world around her spin to stop.

Kay, Active Player

Minerva McGonagall ★ Witch ★Transfiguration Professor

"I'm afraid I must agree with you, let us stop summoning the other to our hospital bed before it becomes a bad habit," the stern professor quipped in a breath she had been holding since her friend had collapsed at the school's gate.

Despite Albus's decision to keep Amelia from joining the Order, the formidable witch had naturally evolved into an enemy of The Dark Lord. Her fair and honorable nature had been more than enough to prevent He Who Must Not Be Named's servants from ascending the Ministry's ladder or at least the ladders she helmed. That she had been made a target had not been a surprise, but that he had seen it fit to attack her himself had been worrisome, to say the least.

She finally put her hand over her friend's. Something akin to her fear of loss had kept her from doing so earlier. The irrational notion that the small gesture might be interpreted as giving consent for her friend to let herself go towards peacefulness had been enough to make her keep her hands on her lap. "How are you feeling?" She asked through the words made her feel powerless.

Alatariel, Active Player

Amelia was vaguely aware of the voice to her right and the hand coming to rest a top hers, she might have even been able to place the voice speaking softly into her ear if she really tried, but with the way the room was spinning and the severe pain beginning to engulf her back. She groaned, shifting so that she could roll onto her side and maybe relieve the pain making her vision blurry.

A normally well put together woman who commanded respect now lay on a hospital bed, writhing and pleading to whoever was there. "My back," she cried, tears rolled down her cheeks, but she didn't bother wiping them. "What did he do to me back?"

Kay, Active Player

"Don't move," Minerva propounded as she swiftly shifted from her chair to the edge of Amelia's bed. "A healer is coming," she promised as she gently placed a hand on Amelia's clavicle to make sure she remained immobile. With a simple nonverbal spell, Minerva lit the candle over the door to request assistance.

Minerva could recall every single time she had seen her friend shed a tear. They might as well have fallen from her own eyes for Amelia's pain made her ache in a way she struggled to comprehend. "You are wounded, it hurts, but healers are confident that you will heal," she whispered. It made for a funny sight, the old professor leaning above the Head of Department, but Minerva did not mind. "Amelia," she spoke thickly as she seemed to try to absorb her friend's pain.

The healers arrived, an older man she recognized as Cogman Stewart, a brilliant Ravenclaw who had garnered recognition from his professors as well as his peers. Followed closely by a younger woman, Minerva recognized as a former Slytherin. One who had rivaled the likes of Potter for the number of times during which she had gotten in trouble. A brilliant, yet lazy student she remembered as she looked at the pair.

The man approached them, his eyes lingering on them as if struggling to decode the scene before him. One stern look from his old professor and the man's professional demeanor was back to the forefront. "Do something for the pain," she ordered the pair.

"Ms. Bones has been given the maximum amount of pain potion," he refuted, his skin as pale as it had been the first time he had been chastised by Gryffindor's matron.

Minerva's eyes narrowed and her nostrils flared. She did not need to speak her mind before an alternative was presented. "We could use a muggle technique," the young healer suggested. "But she would lose feeling in her legs for a few hours," she offered as a caveat.

"I don't think she intends on leaving any time soon," Minerva spoke cuttingly.

Alatariel, Active Player

Suddenly very aware that she was lying slightly on her side with something gently positioned at her lower back and what felt like a pillow between her legs, Amelia looked up at Minerva with unabashed fear in her eyes. She had survived the attack, but whatever he had done to her was wreaking so much havoc against her back that she almost wished she hadn't. The pain was nearly intolerable and she barely noticed the two people entering her room. She only had eyes and ears for the woman above her, wanting her friend to take away the pain coursing up her spine.

"Make it stop," She pleaded again just as a male figure entered her peripheral vision. The man lifted his wand and she flinched, causing the pain in her back to intensify. Amelia cried out reaching out a hand to grab at Minerva's robes.

The Healer seemed to realize her fear and pulled his wand back, "Madam Bones, I have to check you over. The pain your experiencing is from a hex we haven't seen before. Our potions...our spells, they don't seem to be working." The man seemed genuinely upset by his words, frustrated by his inability to help her. "We've given you pain potions and we've tried a few numbing spells but it is very obvious your dealing with a lot of pain." He looked over her, at someone Amelia couldn't see and a look of resignation crossed his features. "There is something else we can try however, but it's not something we've done before. It's a technique they do in the muggle world. It would numb you sufficiently I believe but like my colleague has said, you won't be able to walk until we can figure out a better solution."

Amelia stared at her hand clenched in a forest green robe, the material bunching and creasing beneath her grip, as she did her best to listen to the Healer. With the pain she was currently battling, Amelia was almost willing to try anything.

She nodded sharply, moving her gaze back up to look at Minerva. Her grip tightened as the healer next to her nodded and then moved away from her. She heard hushed voices behind her and then he reappeared, "We are going to insert a needle into your spine and inject a potion right into your spinal cord. Usually this would hurt, but with the amount of pain you seem to be in now, this will be a walk in the back." He then smiled and disappeared once again.

Kay, Active Player

Minerva surveilled the healers' work, ready to intervene as soon as Amelia protested. When her friend's fists let go of her robes, and Amelia finally seemed to be able to take full breaths Minerva let out a sigh of relief.

Focused on Amelia she neglected to thank the healers before they left, nor did she notice perplexed look they were shooting their way. If witnessing Amelia's physical pain had concerned her, witnessing the burden she carried regarding her encounter with He Who Must Not Be Named consumed her. "No," she interjected. "You fought him courageously," the Gryffindor complimented. She was not one to use her house's emblematic trait casually, but she had no qualms using it regarding her friend.

Looking into Amelia's eyes, she suddenly felt overwhelmed with the tormenting notion that her dear friend could have passed. She took Amelia's hand and joined hers above it. Silently thanking the God her father had preached, Minerva finally let go of the fear she had been holding in. With their hands close to her lips, she spoke words she normally would have left concealed. "I don't know what I would have done if I had lost you."
Last edited by Kay on 05 Sep 2019, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

Alatariel, Active Player

Pulling her lip between her teeth, Amelia let the healer maneuver her until she was fully on her side, a whimper escaped her but she kept her mouth closed. Her throat was raw, though she wasn't sure if it was from dryness or from the words she had screamed at Voldemort, but she didn't have the peace of mind to ask for water.

Gripping Minerva's hand in hers tightly, she leaned into the professor, her face disappearing into the robes before her.

"Alright, here we go," A female voice sounded from behind her, and then she felt something cold and wet swipe at a spot right between her shoulder blades. She flinched, whimpered again but just as quickly as she had reacted, she stilled when she realized it didn't hurt. Not as much as the pain swirling there already. Then, before she'd managed to recover fully from the feeling, a sharp pain, different from the one she had become accustomed too, burned between her shoulder blades. She hissed, doing is best to lay still, but much like the woman had said, the pain wasn't nearly as bad as the other.

It was over quickly however, and she was being repositioned. Amelia let out a breath, but then blinked as the pain began to ebb. Though it wasn't just the pain leaving her body, the feeling in her feet and then her calves began evaporate.

Vaguely she heard a conversation happen around her, and she felt a hand on her forearm, but she was too distracted by the feeling leaving her lower body. Whatever they had done to her seemed to be working, and fast.

Her grip on Minerva's robe loosened, and instead she rested a palm against what she assumed to be the woman's stomach.

"I tried to stop him," She finally whispered, pain of a different kind tinging her voice. "But I wasn't...he was too strong."

Kay, Active Player

Minerva surveilled the healers' work, ready to intervene as soon as Amelia protested. When her friend's fists let go of her robes, and Amelia finally seemed to be able to take full breaths Minerva let out a sigh of relief.

Focused on Amelia she neglected to thank the healers before they left, nor did she notice perplexed look they were shooting their way. If witnessing Amelia's physical pain had concerned her, witnessing the burden she carried regarding her encounter with He Who Must Not Be Named consumed her. "No," she interjected. "You fought him courageously," the Gryffindor complimented. She was not one to use her house's emblematic trait casually, but she had no qualms using it regarding her friend.

Looking into Amelia's eyes, she suddenly felt overwhelmed with the tormenting notion that her dear friend could have passed. She took Amelia's hand and joined hers above it. Silently thanking the God her father had preached, Minerva finally let go of the fear she had been holding in. With their hands close to her lips, she spoke words she normally would have left concealed. "I don't know what I would have done if I had lost you."

Alatariel, Active Player

Streaks of color filled her mind and the smell of ozone tickled at the edges of her nostrils as she recalled the battle that had ensued in the once place she felt the most comfortable. It made her stomach churn as she realized that she probably wouldn't be going back there any time soon.

Amelia was brought out of her thoughts as she felt the whisper of a breath against her hand. She looked towards Minerva and found her friend slumped over the hand she had forgot the woman was holding. Minerva very rarely let her emotions leak through her tough exterior, though it looked like it was doing more than leaking through right now. Minerva almost seemed like she was drowning in it.

Squeezing her friends hand three times, she swallowed thickly, not wanting her own feelings, her own very unrequited feelings to spill out, "I'm still here Minnie." She whispered and then tried something else when her voice quivered, "Not even He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named could defeat me." Her voice didn't quiver this time, but there was a hollowness to it that made her shiver.

Kay, Active Player

Loss was a side of loving she had not been ready to endure, yet it seemed to be her burden to be confronted by it time and again. Love and sorrow had become one for the professor. Love had come first, sweet and strong, then sorrow immoderate and ever-present.

Confronted by her friend's mortality, Minerva was forced to contemplate the extent of her affection towards Amelia. She could not imagine a life without the blonde. She could barely imagine having to leave her bedside. She brought their hands to her cheek, finding slight reassurance in the proximity. "You will come live in my cottage with me," she proposed without leaving much room for negotiation.

Alatariel, Active Player

Amelia blinked, "L-live with you?" She stuttered, unsure whether she had heard her friend correctly. Amelia knew of course that she wouldn't be returning to her home, the same home she had lived in since she was a child, longer even. And of course there was the matter of her job, a very high profile job that left her very open to more attacks, and she was sure there would be more. Voldemort had come to kill her and had failed, the wizard wasn't about to just let her go.

"I can't come live with you," Amelia said, her voice raising an octave. Her torso shifted uncomfortably, but her lower half stayed glued to the bed. Whatever they had injected into her system had kicked in completely. "You're at Hogwarts, and I can't put you in danger." She shook her head, "No. There are safe houses I can use but I can't--I can't put you in danger."

Kay, Active Player

Pinched lips and a slight tilt of the head was more than enough to rebuke her friend's postulate. She was a known ally of Dumbledore and a fervent protector of Harry Potter, He Who Must Not Be Named already had plenty of reasons to target her.

"No one will know we are there," she reassured intending to ask Albus to be their Secret Keeper. "I will not leave you," she promised in a foreign tone.

Alatariel, Active Player

She swallowed and then gently pulled her hand from Minerva's grip. Amelia knew of course that she didn't have many options, and while she liked to think of herself as a formidable witch, she was certain that she wouldn't survive another encounter with Voldemort. The wizard had failed in killing her and he had to be itching to spill her blood now.

"Minnie," she whispered, "I can't. I can't," She shook her head. There were places she could go. The witch was half tempted to leave the country, but Amelia had never been a coward and running was a cowards way out.

Kay, Active Player

Confused by Amelia's persistent resistance, Minerva wondered if there might be more to this conversation than what she was perceiving. Despite her tenacity, she realized she was upsetting the woman and thought it might be better to table the conversation for now. "We can talk about it when the healers are ready to discharge you." Minerva would not yield, her friend's safety, as well as her own sanity, depended on it.

Minerva was quick to blame the tension between them on their slight disagreement. Yet it seemed to be their proximity that bothered her most. Since Amelia's hand has gently slipped from hers, she had become acutely aware of their adjacency. As gentle as Amelia had been in her movements, the professor slid off the bed and went back to her chair. She was still within arm's reach, the thought of moving further made her stomach churn. "You should rest," she murmured.

Alatariel, Active Player

Amelia deflated at Minerva's words and she did her best to not look hurt as she moved to the chair beside her bed. The professor was right though, she was exhausted and she could feel it prickling at the edges of her consciousness.

Using her hands to pull her knees closer to her chest, she peered at her friend, "I hit him, you know, with Expulso. That's how I got away."