RP • While these stories must take place within the setting of the Harry Potter books, they may contain alternate plot lines or endings that occur in the books.
Forum rules: 
You are posting in a Freeform Sandbox Forum!
Freeform Sandbox OverviewSandbox PlottingPosting Templates
For additional BBCode templates, click here.

Lilly, Active Player

James didn’t look away despite the pain he felt in his chest when he saw Lily’s beautiful eyes well up with tears. He listened to what she had to say, hoping she’d give him an answer to his question, hoping she’s give him a reason to break things off with Meiriona....but she didn’t.

She was confused, indecisive, and... afraid?

And as much as James wanted to comfort her and confess his feelings, it wasn’t enough of a reason to jeopardize his relationship with his current girlfriend. He cared for her dearly. Meiriona made him laugh and accepted him for who he was...and who he wasn’t.

But what he felt for Lily was painfully raw. It was real. He just wanted the pain to go away.

“You really don’t get it, do you?”

Unable to help himself, James stepped up to Lily and tenderly cupped her face with his hands. He found himself leaning in until their noses brushed together, and their lips were but a breath apart. He somehow found the strength to resist kissing her. “You ARE the good thing in my life,” whispered James, “All I want, all I’ve ever wanted, was to be the good thing in yours.”

Hazel eyes flicked up to stare into emerald green. His reserve was slipping away. He needed to distance himself from her before he did something stupid. “But I’m also not a cheater and I care about Meiriona.”

He dropped his hands and took a step back. James let out an uneven breath.

“Just....let me know when you’ve figured things out...”

He took another step back, distancing himself further from the redhead who already laid claim to his heart. If she didn’t want to give up hers, James decided, then he desperately needed to get his back. He wasn’t about to risk losing Meiriona over someone who was unsure of the their own feelings.

“I... I need to go...I... need to find Meiriona.” James turned away.

Lily felt like she had been punched in the gut. She had felt her heart leap as he cupped her face, had wanted so much to kiss him, and then he pulled away and the spell was broken.

She watched him, her cheeks suddenly wet, but when he spoke again, she felt that punch once more. She opened her mouth, but nothing came out, and when he turned away, Lily shook her head.

Everything made sense, all of a sudden. The years of torment. The effort to do whatever it took to make her happy. The size of his heart. Lily felt numb.

"James, I..." she trailed off, not sure what to say. Her heart felt like it had just been broken, and she didn't know why.

Then she shook her head. "Never mind," she said, choking back a sob before turning on her heels and running back towards the castle. She couldn't be around James right now. She couldn't be around anyone right now.

James anxiously waited for Lily to finish her sentence.... but the words never came. He stared wide eyed as she fled, a moment of fight or flight response stirring within him. James wanted to chase after her, but he didn’t. He wanted to find her and convince her that everything was going to be okay between them, but he couldn’t.

James watched as Lily’s form became smaller in the distance, completely unaware of the consequences he would later face for not chasing after her, oblivious to the series of events that were now set to take place in an alternative timeline…..
Meiriona nodded in response to Cathrine's question. "Possibly. I also have a ton of studying to do for my OWL exams so we'll see." She had enjoyed seeing the hippogriffs with the other girl, but with it getting late, she was thinking it would probably be best to find her way back to her boyfriend so they could at least share some more time before curfew. She hesitated when Cathrine implied they could head back to the castle together. "Um, you go ahead. I'm going to go find James and walk back with him," she said, hoping the hint was strong enough. "Thanks for showing me the foals, by the way. Sometimes I think about a career with animals, and then I get out on the Quidditch pitch and remember I really want to be an athlete." With that, she offered a small wave and took off towards the lake, hoping her boyfriend had waited for her.

She arrived back at the lakeshore shortly after Lily disappeared, seeing James standing there alone. A small smile stretched across her face. "Hey there, hot stuff," she commented, coming up behind him and wrapping her arms around one of his. "Miss me?" she practically purred.

Lilly, Active Player

Hearing her voice made James turn around, but the smile he was giving her did not reach his eyes. "I always miss you," he said as he pulled her closer to wrap both arms around Meiriona's small frame. "Catherine's been showing everyone those foals. She's seems rather excited about them." Small talk was not his forte and it never had been. It was a key indicator that something was indeed bothering him.
Meiriona immediately frowned, pulling back a bit and looking him in the eyes. Something was wrong, she could tell, but she didn't know what.

"What happened?" she asked, thinking the direct approach was probably best.

Lilly, Active Player

James was far too upset to be able to look his girlfriend in the eyes. Instead, he was staring down at a floral weed patch they were standing next too. "I think...I think I just lost my best friend," he said quietly, brokenly.
Meiriona frowned a deep frown, reaching out and taking his hands in hers. "What are you talking about?" she asked, confusion written all over her face. She hated seeing him like this, so forlorn. It was completely the opposite of what she had come to expect from him, which was what made it all the more concerning. "James... talk to me."

Lilly, Active Player

James looked down at their joined hands and sighed. “I don’t know,” he said with frustration, shaking his shaggy head of jet black hair, “Everything is just happening all too fast.”

His thumb gently brushed over her knuckles in an affectionate gesture. He looked up at Meiriona, slightly unsure of himself. “I spent my entire Hogwarts career chasing after Evans. I was so sure that she was the one for me…” James took a second to recollect himself, inhaling and exhaling with a long-controlled breath. “That was until I met you. And now my whole world is upside down because she doesn't want to be "just friends" anymore.”
Meiriona stayed silent, letting him talk. For a brief moment, she felt a pang of jealousy, and even fear that he might end up deciding to chase after Evans anyway. She quickly shook it off, though, nibbling on her lower lip as she slipped her hands out of his and reached up, standing on her tiptoes and wrapping her arms around him. She drew him close, trying to convey just how much she wanted to comfort him.

"I'm so sorry," she murmured, glancing up at him through her eyelashes. "I'm so sorry you're in this position." Meiriona wasn't quite sure what would come of all of this, but hopefully they could sort it out. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

It almost shocked her, how much she was taking it in stride.