Psst! May Donor Rewards and the Roleplaying Preferences & Canon Activity surveys will all be closing on May 31, 2019!
RP • Freeform roleplaying taking place at Hogwarts and in the wizarding world. Stories in this forum must adhere to the canon setting and storyline of the Harry Potter series.
Forum rules: 
You are posting in a Freeform Sandbox Forum!
Freeform Sandbox OverviewSandbox PlottingPosting Templates
For additional BBCode templates, click here.

[1927] A furry little problem

Purple, Active Player

Time of Day: 7:32am • Weather: Clear and cloudless

Arkady Nikolayevich Vasiliev ★ Factory worker ★ Werewolf

The early morning sun beat down on the bare chest of Arkady Vasiliev. Dewdrops cooled his feverish body and the blades of mown grass prickled his skin. Blearily he opened his eyes, squinting at the brightness of the clear blue sky, and reached for a wand to summon his clothes. His hand fell heavily on the bare ground. He hadn't owned a wand in years.
Arkady shut his eyes and sighed.
Last edited by Purple on 20 May 2019, 12:21, edited 3 times in total.

Re: [1926] A furry little problem

Lilly, Active Player

Newton Artemis Fido Scamander ★ Magizoologist

Nifflers were frustratingly cute creatures with a particular fascination for anything and everything shiny. This one though, the one that managed to get him out of bed at the crack of dawn was exceptionally mischievous and entirely too curious for its own good.

“You could have at least waited until after breakfast," muttered the fuzzy slippered man dressed in stripped pajamas. He hurried along the walking trail of Central Park until he spotted something quite unusual laying in the grass up ahead.

Newt’s fingers twitched as his hand hovered over his coat pocket in which is wand was kept. He slowed his walking to a slow creep, much like a cat did when it assessed its surroundings. Relief swept over him when he saw the stranger move. Oh, good. The man wasn’t dead.

“Um, excuse me have you seen-oh good heavens!” Newt quickly averted his eyes to stare down at the fuzzy animal slippers Jacob had gifted him last Christmas.

For lack of a better response Newt decided to point out the obvious. “ You’re naked.” He timidly raised his eyes to look at the stranger’s face before averting them again in embarrassment. “You alright?”

credit
Last edited by Lilly on 16 May 2019, 17:26, edited 3 times in total.

Purple, Active Player

Panic and humiliation swept through him as Arkady realized he had been seen. He bolted up, wincing at a sudden pain that flared through his left arm. He looked down and saw a crescent of dried blood and dirt along is forearm - he had bitten himself in the night.
"Forgive me," he muttered in a thick Russian accent, his head turned down so as not to meet the stranger's gaze. "I, ah, lose track of time." He turned his body away from the stranger, now fumbling for his battered old pocket watch. He kept it hung around his neck even during transformations so that he could avoid being late for work. "My watch...." he muttered, patting the grass for the missing timepiece.
Last edited by Purple on 20 May 2019, 12:21, edited 2 times in total.

Lilly, Active Player

New York was an increasingly interesting and strange place for Newt, but not nearly as strange and interesting as Arkady’s Russian accent or the freshly inflicted bite marks on the man’s arm.

His brows furrowed in concern for the stranger. “You’re hurt,” said Newt, kneeling down beside him.

But it was difficult to get a proper look at the wound with Arkady turning away and obsessing over-

“Did you say watch?” asked Newt, suddenly perking up.

No longer was he concerned over the other man’s well being. Instead he was furiously looking through the blades of grass, feeling around for impressions in the soft dirt around Arkady’s naked body. Newt lifted one dirt covered finger to his nostrils. He inhaled sharply and on the exhale pressed the pad of his finger to the tip of his tongue. His eyes lit up with excitement. Only now was he able to fully make eye contact with Arkady.

“I think what we’re both looking for are in the same place.”

credit
Last edited by Lilly on 16 May 2019, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

Purple, Active Player

Arkady looked up at Newt in confusion. Why was he showing concern? Why did he care about his watch? There was clearly nothing to gain from Arkday, a visibly malnourished immigrant lying bare-skinned in the middle of the park. What was the man fishing for? Nobody could be trusted in this city.

He narrowed his eyes. "What do you look for? What do you want?"
Last edited by Purple on 20 May 2019, 12:21, edited 2 times in total.

Lilly, Active Player

“My niffler,” said Newt, looking around wildly, before he suddenly dropped to all fours.

He crawled on his hands and knees, tracking the ting footprints and bent grass blades flattened by one very sneaky creature. The trail led to the nearest tree, to which Newt hugged as he stood up to peer inside a small hollowed out squirrel’s nest. Two beady eyes looked back at him atop of a pile of coins and miscellaneous objects.

“There you are,” he said disapprovingly, reaching inside to grab the niffler who was much too busy, trying to shove as much as he could into his pouch, to even put up a fight.

The niffler gave a loud noise in protest, followed by a series of short squeaks and trills, when Newt tipped him upside down and attacked him with tickles.

“We’ve talked about this,” said Newt as he continued to tickle a squirming squealing niffler,”Stealing shinies is one thing, stealing homes is another.”

Coins, jewelry and tea spoons fell out of the niffler’s pouch and onto the ground. Amongst the collection, on top of the pile, was Arkady’s watch.

credit
Last edited by Lilly on 16 May 2019, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

Purple, Active Player

He couldn't help it. His jaw had dropped at the sight of the magical creature, and the man's complete nonchalance, even affectionate, attitude towards it. Arkady had never seen a niffler before, but he knew what it was from the books he used to read.

"That niffler....is pet?" he asked warily.
Last edited by Purple on 20 May 2019, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.

Lilly, Active Player

The corner of Newt’s lips twitched in a nervous smile. “He’s a friend.” He cradled the naughty little niffler in his arm and tucked him inside his coat for warmth and safe keeping.

Newt bent down to pick up the watch he could only assume belonged to Arkady. The niffler poked its head out from between the closed lapels of his keeper’s coat.

“I believe this is yours,” said Newt apologetically, “It looks to be alright.”

The magizologist fidgeted nervously. “He didn’t mean anything by stealing it.” He handed Arkady his watch back. “ It’s-he can’t help it. Anything that shines is irresistible to him. “

Newt gave an honest attempt at a friendly smile before reminding himself of the raw bite mark on the other man’s arm. “You should let me take a look at that.”

credit
Last edited by Lilly on 16 May 2019, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

Purple, Active Player

A friend....right. The thing was definitely a pet. Judging by the man's accent and mannerisms, he had to be an Englishman. Strange people, all of them. But what was he doing in New York? Didn't he know the magical world wasn't openly tolerated here?

He opened his mouth in thanks as he took back the watch, when the man's gaze fell on his arm. Arkady whipped his arm back, muttering, 'Is nothing.' The man was a part of the magical world. Though he didn't seem particularly bright, he would be able to put two and two together. Nobody knew his secret here. He wasn't about to allow a strange Englishman with a pet niffler to change that.

Hoping to change the subject, he nodded towards the niffler. 'I could use one of those. Perhaps he can find me better paying job,' he added with a somewhat forced chuckle.

Lilly, Active Player

Newt was quiet for a moment, fidgeting uncomfortably as he contemplated continuing the conversation. Anyone familiar with a niffler was a key indicator that they were a part of the magical community…or at the very least had knowledge of it.

“Yes, I can imagine it would be difficult in your situation,” he said bluntly, hugging his niffler closer, underneath the coat. Everything made sense now...the bite marks on the man’s arm…the fact that he was more embarrassed by it than he was concerned.

“You really should let me look at that,” said Newt, nodding to Arkady’s bite wound. “It could get infected.”

credit
Last edited by Lilly on 16 May 2019, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.

Purple, Active Player

The man held his niffler closely to himself, as if Arkady were to leap up and steal it. But Arkady Vasiliev was no thief. Though fortune had abandoned him, he kept his sense of honour. The Reds could not take that from him.

Arkady turned abruptly from the man. "Is nothing. I am fine." He stood up, fingering his watch. "I have work now. I must get clothes." The sooner he could get away from this man, the better. The bigger concern was remembering which hollow tree he had stashed his clothes in before transforming.

Lilly, Active Player

Clearly the other man was uncomfortable and Newt, understanding and empathetic of his situation, decided not to press the issue any further. But at the very least he could help him find his clothes.

Reaching around the now sleeping niffler Newt withdrew his wand from the inner pocket and concealed it within the sleeve of his coat. “Accio clothes,” he mumbled, summoning the missing garments.

credit
Last edited by Lilly on 16 May 2019, 17:50, edited 2 times in total.

Purple, Active Player

His clothes flew over from nearby, landing neatly next to him. "Thank you," he murmured, ducking behind a bush as he pulled the threadbare fabric on. "Why are you here?" he asked, curiosity finally getting the better of him. That....and Arkady had always been a social man; the isolation of his precarious situation meant that he did not engage with people nearly as much as he preferred.
"I do not think Americans allow such pets. Are you tourist?"

Re: [1927] A furry little problem

Lilly, Active Player

Now it was his turn to feel uncomfortable. " Oh, um..." Newt turned his back to allow Arkady additional privacy as he dressed.

" N-no. Not a tourist. I'm just visiting friends," he mumbled as he fidgeted with one of the buttons on his coat," Only they don't know I'm visiting."

And neither did the British Ministry of Magic...or MACUSA for that matter.

Newt was, in fact, traveling against the wishes of both governments knowing perfectly well that one more mishap or act of disobedience such as this would result in disciplinary action. But it was worth the risk in giving Tina her book as promised.

credit

Re: [1927] A furry little problem

Purple, Active Player

Arkady knew that look, those mannerisms. It was the same look he gave people when he first arrived in America when they asked why he was there. The same look the other naive loyalists had here before they disappeared. Arkady learned to hide. This man apparently had not. But what would a well-off Englishman have to hide, he wondered?

The shadow of a smile pulled up on Arkady's face. 'If you visit friends, then I am American president,' he replied knowingly. 'You are not supposed to be here.'