Calling all players! The last day of the season is April 28th. Character creation is now closed and will reopen in the new season. ★

The Vault 713 Staff is Hiring! Are you interested in helping keep the Vault running? We're seeking a few good witches and wizards to help with the day-to-day management. Apply [Here]
Stories taking place in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland.
Forum rules: When starting your thread, please put a location [Tag] at the beginning of it, such as [Scotland] or [Wales]. Use broad locations if possible, though more detailed descriptions are welcome for specific locations such as schools. Once your thread is complete, be sure to mark and report it as complete to be archived.

Re: [London] this heart mocks

Daniel Bentley,

Non-Magical ★ Royal London Hospital • Consultant, Intensive Care Unit
Daniel's pen seemed to halt, nib pressed firmly to the page from the sound of her words. It had been a long time since anyone said that and really meant it. Very accomplished, indeed. It felt good.

"I feel better already. Let's get you feeling the same way, shall we?" e glanced up. "Why do you let him talk over you so much? Your body may be weak, but that doesn't mean your mind has to be, now does it? Ever thought of just...saying what you want to?"

Elise Baxter, Young Adult

Non-Magical ★
Her head shook. "He's my dad. He's just doing what's best for me." She forced herself to relax, hands moving away from the wrinkled portion of sheets on her bed as she swallowed back a cough. "It's hard for me, sometimes... so he helps."

Played By: Clytemnestra

Daniel Bentley,

He gave a little nod, looking back down and continuing to write.

"But now I'm here to help. I would much prefer it if he wasn't breathing down my neck whilst I do so. I would much rather hear you." He spoke bluntly, giving little much else away.

Non-Magical ★
She glanced down to her hands as her fingers fidgeted within one another. "I'll make sure he's not disrespectful again," she promised. "I'm sorry."

Daniel Bentley,

Daniel lifted a brow.

"Good. Glad to hear it." Very glad indeed. It felt empowering, to say the least. He tore off the sheet of paper and cleared his throat. "I'll send this to the nurse; she'll come to take some bloods. I'll be back later with some questions, and we can make a start on how to sort this out."

With that, he turned to leave, glancing over his shoulder at her. She was definitely a little interesting.

Non-Magical ★
By the time the man had opened the door, her father was waiting there, arms barricaded over his chest, a bottle of water in his hand. He stood as a sentry, leaving the two men at an impasse until he finally shifted a shoulder behind him, allowing the doctor through. By the time he reached her bed to hand her the bottle of water, her heart was pummeling her rib cage.

Just like that, he was gone.

But she wasn't focused on that departure, just the way her dad stared at the threshold of the door, tension propping his frame.

All she could do then was tentatively reach over and squeeze his hand, calming him. It took a few moments, but he settled back into himself, his attention on her, as it always was, as it always would be.

The next few hours blurred in to one another after that. It took a while, but the nurse eventually came to take her blood. The usual. Which arm do you prefer? Offering her left arm. Tourniquet. The same warnings. The needle going in; a good nature laugh. You have good veins. One vial. Two vials. A bandage. Dry, well meaning compliments. Assurances that it wouldn't be long until she'd be seen again.

In the end, after another hour's wait, and long after another nurse had come to hook her nose up to oxygen, they were informed that she'd have to stay the night, there was no one really available to read her results until tomorrow. It was better to keep her under watch, anyway, they reasoned, what with her difficulty breathing.

In the very least, her father waited until the woman was gone to vehemently rant about the lack of professionalism. What kind of racket are they running here?

And Elise, shoulders shaking with subdued coughs, did her best to listen. She listened a great deal until it was time for him to leave. Her eyes remained affixed to the wall when he approached and pressed a long kiss against her temple, promising that he'd come back the minute visiting hours started.

It didn't matter much to her. She just knew she hated this part about hospital stays. In the end, you'd always end up alone. Diagnostic and monitoring equipment was seldom good company.

She milked what little she could from the nurses that came to check on her. Martha, the nice one from before, had been the most talkative, though eventually she always had to go check on someone else. She was given dinner that she barely touched on account of the nausea, and played what little she could on her phone until it couldn't hold her interest.

It wasn't as if this infection made it any easier. Her symptoms, on top of everything else, made it difficult not to be miserable. There were moments, especially now, when she was laid back, staring at the hands she'd propped up against her bent knees, when she very much wanted to cry, but did everything in her power not to.

She wasn't.

She wasn't going to be a big fucking pathetic baby.

Her fingers curled around the blanket that covered her lower half, and she frowned, forcing herself to lay back against the pillows and drown out the fit she had by listening to the drone of the medical equipment.

Daniel Bentley,

Daniel had been asked to stay a bit later for some patients, but in all honesty, he was planning to anyway for one in particular. But now that he had been asked, it did make it more believable for him to be here, at least. Without much hesitation, he opened the door to Elise's room, even more confident now that her father was definitely gone. He had purposely waited until visiting hours were done before making his way to her. Closing the door behind him, he stepped into the room, two cups in his hands.

"Miss Baxter. I hope you're not going to spend this time feeling sorry for yourself. I thought I would come and check up on you..."

He looked over her, seeing her position and examining her from afar.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, stepping a little close, looking over her carefully.

Non-Magical ★
It was... unexpected.

Maybe not too much; after all, he'd said he'd come back later. But she wasn't really all that certain she'd believed that. After all, he was a doctor. A busy doctor. A doctor with his own life, presumably. And what with her tests not being finished until tomorrow, well...

"I'm fine," she said softly, ducking beneath the comment about self pitying that managed to smart some. She smoothed her fingers over her knees, forcing a small smile as she looked back at him. "Thank you for asking."

Daniel Bentley,

Daniel stepped further into the room, taking a seat next to her bed and placing down one cup on her bedside table.

"I brought you a cup of tea. Coffee may not help too much, but tea can relax you. I assume this is all very stressful for you." He spoke steadily, looking over her form for a moment. "You get sick a lot...and it never seems to improve. I've been looking over your file a lot, and made some calls. You've apparently been to a lot of hospitals but only had temporary results. I'm going to try and break that chain."

Non-Magical ★
She squinted. "How do you mean?" she asked, almost disbelieving. "We've always accounted it to bad genetics or some sort of auto-immune disorder. Do you..." Elise paused, her look to Dr. Bentley rather significant, "Do you think this is something that I can... beat? And I can get better?"

Daniel Bentley,

Daniel sat back in his chair, tapping on his leg for a moment as he thought over the words.

"Well, I wouldn't say beat. It is something genetic, but I think it can be handled far better than what it has been currently. I have a couple of ideas to reduce the amount of time you spend in the hospital, or prevent you coming in at all. I can't magically heal your DNA, but I can provide methods of guiding your immune system in the right direction before it gets to this stage. Eventually, as you and your body grow stronger, we can reduce events like these from occurring significantly - it will be the closest thing to cured you can be."

He looked over her. The way she seemed to jump at the chance, how she was looking at him, the tone in her voice. It peaked his interest, and he found himself wanting to say more just to make her admire him.

Non-Magical ★
"So what you mean is that it can be managed," Elise reasoned, leaning over for the first time to pluck the small mug of tea waiting for her. She cradled the porcelain in her palms, relishing the warmth.

Daniel Bentley,

Daniel watched her carefully.

"Effectively, yes. I'm the best person for the job, I would say. I have a lot of experience in this field, and I am willing to put the effort in for you. All you need to say is 'thank you'." He spoke, completely oblivious to how narcissistic he sounded. But there was just something intoxicating about the way she looked up at him, helpless and needy.