Stories taking place in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland.
Forum rules: When starting your thread, please put a location [Tag] at the beginning of it, such as [Scotland] or [Wales]. Use broad locations if possible, though more detailed descriptions are welcome for specific locations such as schools. Once your thread is complete, be sure to mark and report it as complete to be archived.

[Hogsmeade] Sources Say...

Viola York, Practical Potioneer Magazine

Magical ★ Expert Columnist

Viola always enjoyed indulging into new advancements and endeavours regarding the healing arts. She hadn't seen much development as of late, but after hearing word about a fellow potion connoisseur, she had to jump at the chance to find out as much as she could about this witch - and any discoveries she had made. Of course, Viola wasn't particularly a people person; in fact, she much rather keep her distance with many, but simply having an interest in such arts did tend to make it easier in catching Viola's attention.

Now that she was trying to build an upstanding reputation, Viola made a promise to herself not to be mean or grating. Well, not too mean or grating. A little bit of goading tended to get more answers. That's what she learnt from Kit Harper, at least. He was perhaps too far with his irritating methods.

Regardless, Viola seated herself down in Madame Puddifoot's Tea Shop; she quite enjoyed this place, and it felt nostalgic after so many years having not visited. She found a quiet corner to sit in, waiting for the woman to arrive, a cup of Dragon's Breathe Chai already being lifted to her lips and sipped. Upon entry of Winter, Viola stood politely, letting the other know where she was seated. She gave a cordial smile, reaching out to shake her hand as she introduced herself.

"Viola York, Practical Potioneer. Tea?" She asked. So far, so good.

Played By: Vyreia

Re: [Hogsmeade] Sources Say...

Winter O'Donnell, St. Mungo's Hospital

Magical ★ Apothecary
An interview? Winter was still stunned at the realization that she was in her way to Madame Puddifoot's Tea Shop. But was it the interview itself or the fact that she agrees? There was a bit of convincing to do so by her co-workers, and eventually, it actually sounded like a nice idea. After all, it wasn't everyday that one got interviewed about their work. Still... Winter was starting to think maybe it would have been better to just graciously turn down the offer. Regardless, it was a wee bit late now, as the tea shop loomed into view.

"Alright, Winter. You got this," she said to herself as she opened the door and entered.

The familiar welcoming scene met her, bringing her usual comforting, happy smile to her face. Winter frequented this particular shop often, so often so that many of the workers knew her and her favorite teas without needing to ask for her order. Glancing about the room, her eyes fell on a woman who stood when she entered. That must be her. Unbuttoning her pea coat, slipping it off, and draping it over her arm, Winter headed over to the table. Today, she picked a light purple 3/4 sleeve cotton shirt and black slacks with black slipper flats, figuring it would be casual enough for comfort and nice enough for an interview. Around her neck, she wore a silver chain with a single silver star holding a round star sapphire, and her hair was fixed to be slightly pulled back at the sides, her ears still concealed from view.

Extending her hand and giving Viola a gentle handshake, Winter smiled and replied, "Pleasure. Winter O'Donnell, Apothecary at St. Mungo's Hospital." Before she could answer Viola's offer for tea, one of the waitresses appeared with a blue and white tea cup steaming with one of Winter's teas of choice. From the aroma coming off the dark liquid, she guessed it was Mystic Mountain Twilight. Thanking the waitress, Winter took the cup and saucer and placed it on the table in front of the open chair. Putting her coat over the back of the chair, Winter sat and gestures for Viola to join her. "I hope I didn't keep you waiting long," she said before wrapping her hands around the warm cup out of habit.

Played By: SnowFox

Viola quickly scanned over the other woman as she approached. As a former seamstress, Viola was always the type to admire fashion, or disgruntle it. This woman didn't seem to be wearing the most upper class brands she was used to, but it certainly wasn't drab like a lot of people she'd interviewed before. She remembered one man who turned up in ripped cloaks. Ripped! the nerve of him to think she would spend her time with that. Not to mention that she then had to ignore the prevalent smell of garlic on his breath.

"No, not at all." Viola replied, seating herself down again, smoothing out her dress. Once again, she was dressed impeccably; clean and prim, hugging her curves in all the right places. To say she was a married woman, she certainly didn't care for being overly prudent.

"So, let's start easy. Your work as an apothecary ; how do you enjoy it? How long have you been doing it and what drove you into the profession?"

Magical ★ Apothecary
Winter smiled as Viola sat opposite her. Admiring her dress, she was happy that Viola dressed nicely for their little meeting. It put her at ease a bit to see that this interview was something more than just a Q and A session. Viola presented herself as someone who was truly interested in what Winter had to say. Taking a sip of her tea, winter welcomed the warmth it brought her body as she swallowed.

With the opening questions to mark the official start of their interview, Winter set her cup down gently and answered, "Let's see... I've been doing this since I graduated from Hogwarts. I had several internships, but really, it was just the stepping Stones to getting to where I am. So... the better part of ten years?" The end question was, of course, rhetorical as Winter really didn't keep track of how long she really was in her chosen occupation. Pausing to take a drink, she smiled to herself before saying, "To answer, I enjoy it. Everything about it and everything that comes with it, even if everything isn't bright and sunny. I find it to be extremely rewarding, which helps me enjoy it all the more."

Viola's last question of the set made Winter pause. The answer wasn't as black and white as many might think. But, it was simple enough. "I was first influenced by my mother. She was a fine herbalist and used her skills to do in-home apothecary type things for others," Winter began, remembering what little she could about her mother and the things her brother and father told her about. Losing her so young, Winter's actual memories of her were few and not nearly as clear as she wished they were. "But the real inspiration for my taking up this mantle was thanks to a wizard healer that wouldn't take no for an answer," she said, raising her hand to her left ear and removing the sky-blue device and setting it on her napkin on the table between Viola and herself. "When all other healers and doctors were willing to settle, this healer went above and beyond to help a little girl hear again. I want to help others like he helped me. And I am by doing what I do," Winter said proudly, keeping her finger on the napkin in a silent point for Viola to see what allows her to hear.

Viola set up her Quick-Quotes Quill, making her own hands free to bring her tea to her lips and take a sip as the other woman spoke. They were fairly standard answers for the most part; she had a steady career route designed from the moment she left Hogwarts, and she would have had to stick to it to now be working within the industry for ten years. And of course she enjoyed the work, otherwise she would not have accepted the interview. Nobody wanted to created an awkward conversation, and Viola was sure she would hear nothing but positive feedback about St Mungos and the work there. She highly expected the odd phrase of 'it's hard work', because, well, it was hard work. Potions were hard in general.

Viola hummed and nodded, polite as she was supposed to be. She was sure Nathan would be highly confused at her professionalism despite her loud mouth and purposely-caused-drama that surrounded her on the daily basis. But she took her job seriously. It was perhaps the only thing she did take seriously.

But it was then that Winter revealed the sky-blue devices, and Viola's expression changed immediately. She sat up, shuffled in her chair so she could lean forward, eyes intense of the object placed on the napkin. She was listening intently on what Winter was saying, but all the while, Viola was scanning each nook and cranny of the device, thoroughly investigating it. Steadily, she placed her finger on the napkin, and slid it around so she could see the opposite side of the earpiece.

"Outstanding." She whispered as Winter finished. "What an incredible little creation. I'm something of an inventor myself, but I have never seen anyone else make something so refined, and to be functioning for hearing? Very delicate process. There must have been all kinds of risks involved with the implementation." She praised.

Glancing to the quill briefly, she spoke lowly. "Take sketches."

Then, she looked back to Winter. "How long did it take them to make? Have you had any problems with them?"

Magical ★ Apothecary
Winter hoped she wasn't giving answers that Viola found dull. She was simply being honest with what she said. However, Viola's demeanor of simply listening hanged abruptly when she took note of the device that Winter placed on the table for her to see. Sitting back in her seat and taking a sip of her tea, Winter tucked her red hair behind her right ear, exposing the other device that made up the set. It was interesting to her to watch Viola investigate her device.

Smiling softly at her awe, Winter nodded in reply before saying, "I'm not sure if there were risks, but I know that there were lots of trials and errors. Really, if there was a problem, they simply didn't work." She did t remember a lot of the details surrounding her devices, but she remembered there were times, when they were getting close, that she would hear for only a moment before hearing nothing again. "I wouldn't doubt that there were all sorts of little touches in the final creation that I'm not overly privy to, " she added.

Raising her cup for a sip, Winter paused when asked how long it took and if she had any issues with them. Lowering her cup, her brow furrowed as she thought back to when the whole journey to gain her hearing again began. "I think from the start of working with the healer to the time he finally got the prototype made was nearly two years. It might have been less or more, but I was so young, I don't really recall for certain. As for troubles.... Being without my hearing for a few years I was, everything was very loud for a while. It took some fine tuning to get the volume right a d the adjust it every so often until I was hearing normally," she said with a small chuckle, "I remember when I first got them, everything was so loud, I ripped them from my ears and said I didn't want to hear again! That the world was too loud!"

The memory made Winter smile and laugh. All that hard work to help her and she was so ready to just be done and live in silence. But, she was only a young child then, so what was really happening was a bit lost to her. "There was also the matter of fittings every so often as I grew. What was nice was the healer knew that a young child would need a little help to ensure they worked properly. He enfused them with a magic that made them work when they are in my ears, and stop working when removed," Winter explained, dropping her eyes to the device. "It's quite extraordinary, really. He wasn't going to stop working on these until he succeeded. He's my inspiration..." she added softly.