[London] Without Walls

Not really fond of gardens or patio dining, Jane made sure to choose a strategic seat. Facing the house rather than the yard, helped her fade out all the disturbing variables such as plants and beetles. Sitting closer to Vera was a reassurance she had long ago accepted without truly understanding it and sitting in the shade was mere precautions to protect her fair skin.

"And if I add one more rock, how many do we have?" She added a smooth rock to the little pile they had been accumulating and she looked at her nephew expectantly. Sitting close to Louis was a little worrying given how unpredictable children could be, but so far the little boy had been rather agreeable.

Re: [London] Without Walls

"Jane, he is just starting to learn how to count," Vera explained as she tried to manage her sister's expectations. Seeing Jane and Louis interact was odd, though it was rather heartwarming. Jane was clearly using numbers as a familiar and reassuring topic to try and reach out to her nephew. Something Vera knew to be difficult for her.

Played By: Kay

Sitting on a booster seat rather than a high chair Louis was proud to be sitting at the table with the adults. Paying no attention to his mother's words he studied the little pile of rock his aunt had been putting in front of him and poked the rocks with his finger. "Four rocks," he chimed with a wide smile.

Concentrating on her nephew rather than on her sister's cautious words, Jane was fascinated by the little boy's efforts. The little lines on his forehead betraying his concentration, his finger pointing at the rocks he was counting, his hard work quickly proved his mother wrong for underestimating him.

"That's right, Louis. There are four rocks," she confirmed. She brought her hand to her nephew's intending to give it a congratulatory pat, but pulled it away last second. His hands were likely dirty from playing in the sandbox earlier.

Surprised by her son, Vera leaned back into her chair. Perhaps Evelyn had been right, perhaps they were raising a little genius. Smiling fondly she took the hand Jane had just avoided. "Good job, Louis. Maybe you will become an accountant like your aunt Jane."

"Loan Administrator," Jane corrected when her sister misidentified her career. She took the bottle of room temperature water she had been served and took a small sip. "Does Evelyn know you are dodging a big promotion?" She asked looking at the patio door behind which the Editor had disappeared to go make a floo call.

In the middle of taking a sip of wine, the blonde coughed up her surprise. Eyes watering as she attempted to recover, she wiped her chin with the back of her hand. "What do you mean? How do you? I-" she coughed again.

"I am not dodging it, it's not the right time," Vera explained once her coughing fit had stopped. "And how did you know?" She asked her sister nervously. Was she that transparent?

Eager to keep his aunt's attention, Louis offered Jane one of his pebbles. "Aunty Jane has one pebble," he grinned charmingly before he took a sip of water from his glass. A big boy glass, just as he had requested.

Jane took the smooth rock her nephew was offering. "Yes, I have one. And you have three," she explained pointing at the small pile before him.

Sensing that Vera was looking at her expectantly, she turned her blue eyes to her older sister. "Does Evelyn know?" She asked again, reminding Vera of the question she had yet to answer.

Too distracted to appreciate her son and her sister's adorable interaction, she gently placed her wine glass on the table. "Nothing has been offered yet. There is nothing to discuss," she claimed though she knew she was rationalizing her decision. While it was true that nothing had been offered, Vera knew that it was a simple formality. For years they had been grooming her to become a diplomat and soon a formal offer would be made.

"I'm not hiding it from her, I'm just- it's not the right time," she reiterated.

"When you are hiding something you nimble on your bottom lip," she shared pointing at her sister's plump bottom lip. It was a tell Jane had noticed when they had been children. "You used to do it when mother and father used to ask you about Rian," she explained.

"I think you should tell Evelyn. She should want what is best for you. She is your wife," Jane offered as a trail of thought.

"That doesn't really explain how you-" Vera shook her head at her younger sister's unsatisfying explanation.

"It's complicated," she waved off her sister's concern before she took her glass of wine.

Jane frowned. She was used to being waved off, but Vera had always made an effort to at least try to explain. Clenching and unclenching her fist, Jane tried to ascertain ho she was expected to navigate her sister's brush-off.

Feeling guilty as soon as she realized she was being dismissive, Vera pinched the bridge of her nose. "M'sorry," she whispered as she noticed her sister's hand moving from the table to her ear. Wrapping her hand around Jane's wrist she stopped the gesture she knew would be soothing for her sister. "We have been dealing with a lot recently, this new job would require me to travel frequently. I can't leave all the time," she looked at her son, who was lining up his pebbles. "Not now."

Jane looked at her older's sister's hand wrapped around her wrist and fought the urge to flick it off. She knew what Vera was doing, that she was stopping her from touching her ear by trying to soothe her with an explanation, but she was so distracted by the hand on her wrist that she could barely hear her sister speak.

"I could help with Louis if that's what's holding you back," she looked at her nephew.