Stories taking place in mainland Europe and Russia west of the Ural Mountains. Some countries include France, Norway, Bulgaria, and Poland.
Forum rules: When starting your thread, please put a location [Tag] at the beginning of it, such as [Italy] or [Russia]. Use broad locations if possible, though more detailed descriptions are welcome for specific locations such as schools. Once your thread is complete, be sure to mark and report it as complete to be archived.

Radu Georgescu, Dumitrescu Greenery

Magical ★ Floral Designer
His feet felt so heavy beneath him that he almost expected them to break the ground beneath him. The sound of blood rushing through his body was pounding in his ears. He was preparing himself for what was to come: the anger, the sadness, the disappointment; all the emotions he was sure Manuela had felt since he left. The thought of it kept him up at night until he managed to drown his guilt in enough cheap vodka.

As she spoke, he opened his mouth to regurgitate his rehearsed explanatory apology.

"I..." he started as the weight of the words she had spoken hit him like a ton of bricks.

She was not yelling or crying. She was not expressing any of the emotions he had expected. He did not have an answer. He was not well but, in his own way, he had accepted it. It could be worse. It had been worse, once. He considered himself somewhat lucky considering...

"I wasn't supposed to live."

He finished his thought out loud as he sunk against the wooden railing.

Played By: Dizzy Izzy
r_avatar

Manuela Balan, Romanian Spellcasters Institute

Magical ★ Charms Professor
Unnerved by his cryptic answer, she fought the urge to pound her fists against his chest until he offered something more substantial. How rich to claim to know better of his fate than the God housed behind him! A God who praised the sanctity of life above all.

"What does that mean?" She challenged impatiently as her fist clenched at her sides.

He noticed her clenched fists and sucked in a short breath. So she was upset, and now she was showing it.

"Nothing," he brushed off her question as he brushed past her and started walking way from the church. He had not come here to offer her some explanation. It was better she just thought of him as a pathetic, emotionally incompetent man than a pathetic, emotionally incompetent murderer.

r_avatar

"Stop being such a coward!" She yelled unable to contain her resentment.

They had been given an opportunity to get closure and he was simply going to dismiss her? It is as she helplessly sat on the church's steps that a troop of parishioners left the holy building.

Radu stopped in his tracks and waited for the small throng of people to pass.

It hurt to hear her call him a coward. He knew she was right; he knew he was a coward. Still, hearing it form her hurt more than he expected. Maybe it hurt more because he knew he couldn't do what she was asking. He could not lie to her anymore, but he she couldn't know the truth. So he was stuck saying nothing at all; stuck being a coward.

"Just drop it. Please," he pleaded.

He knew better than this. He knew better than to keep engaging with someone who wanted something from you that you could not give.

r_avatar

"Drop what?" She retaliated, blaming him for every ill-defined detail of their relationship. She rose to her feet and approached him. "Drop what, Radu?" She repeated as her index pressed against his chest.

"I thought we were going to get married, start a family." Her palm pressed against the expanse of her stomach. A child would have likely come from their union by now. "Is that what you want me to let go? Because I've tried," through her acrimonious questions her voice wavered. "I can't seem to understand why you left. I thought we wanted the same things."

Radu stood still as stone as she rightfully berated him. He would let her do more than just jab him with a finger if it would make things better.

"I don't," he mumbled, biting back the urge to take his words back and tell her the truth. He was usually better at lying, but he usually was not lying to someone he cared about as much as he cared about Manuela. And this time he had actually really wanted those things and even believed he was going to get them.

He hated hurting her but she was better off without him; better off not knowing who he really was. He was worthless. Pathetic. He was not someone that deserved the kind of life they had imagined they would have together.

r_avatar

At first, she had misidentified his aura of mystery as timidity, but slowly as he had started to reveal himself she had seen through the cracks. He wasn't timid, he was hiding. A cynical soul would have called it lying through omission, but Manuela had been willing to wait, trusting that he would share his secrets when he felt that he could trust her.

Her shoulders slumped. He wasn't hiding anymore. He was lying.

She shook her head. "I can overlook many mistakes and many character flaws, but I'm glad I didn't marry a dishonest man." Through tears, she gave him one last look.

Seeking solitude or perhaps because she was finally ready to mourn him she walked towards the cemetery behind the church.

I'm glad I didn't marry a dishonest man

Then this was all for the best. So much of who he was had been built on lies and omissions - dishonesty.

He silently battled his demons while she began to walk away. For the last year, the only person his demon could hurt was himself. Now that he was here, though, it was a different story. They, and he, were hurting the one person left that he loved; the one person that meant the most to him.

"Good. Good!" he yelled as he stormed after her, "Because that is what I am. I'm a fraud."

He was emotional. He was clearly angry. He was taking out his anger on himself on her.

r_avatar

Manuela flinched under his tormented tone. She had never been privy to his anger, though she had suspected it might someday emerge.

"How?" She matched his tone. "You are not a Floral Designer?" Her hands flew towards the sky. "You have yet another wife in hiding?" She spat as her anger got the best of her.

Radu was momentarily rendered speechless. Another wife? Did she honestly think that he had lied about that? He was well aware that his actions had not been the best way to cope with the news that Doina was not dead, but even someone as emotionally clueless as himself could have seen that he had been genuinely surprised and disheveled by it.

"What is that supposed to mean?!" he roared back. Of course he had a fairly good idea of what she meant by it.

"She was dead! I saw her body! I saw her blood all over our home! Vanya told me she was dead! So no, no you won't turn that around on me. She was dead to me and it was because of me. ME!"

He slammed his fist into his chest on the final 'me'.

r_avatar

"Because of you?" The startled woman interrogated feeling as though she had almost married a complete stranger.

There had been a life before her. A life of shadows and gloom, a life she had surmised from the lines on his face and the heaviness of his silences. Yet she had focused on their life together. On their happiness and their plans for the future. It seemed as though romanticism and naivité had prevented her from seeing how much her future husband's past had been haunting them.