Stories taking place in mainland Europe and Russia west of the Ural Mountains. Some countries include France, Norway, Bulgaria, and Poland.
Forum rules: When starting your thread, please put a location [Tag] at the beginning of it, such as [Italy] or [Russia]. Use broad locations if possible, though more detailed descriptions are welcome for specific locations such as schools. Once your thread is complete, be sure to mark and report it as complete to be archived.

Hugh Cairns, Bucket Bros. Travelling Carnival

Seer Magical ★ Fortune Teller
Location: Circus Grounds outside Sighisoara • Date: 1 March 2003
Time of Day: Early Evening • Weather: Sunny,

"Come one, come all! Step on up and get your fortune told! Learn what tomorrow has in store for you, today!" Hugh stood outside his tent on the carnival's grounds trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to attract some business. He was dressed flamboyantly, as he often was for work, in bright colors and loose fabric. Given that it was the first day of March in the middle of Eastern Europe, Hugh was - to say the least - a bit cold. Hopefully someone would take him up on his pitch soon so he could retreat back into the warmth of his stall. But the chill had kept the crowds away, and the grounds were a little sparse at the moment.

Nipping the cynical voice in his head at the bud, Hugh plastered a huge smile on his face and called out to another passerby, "Salut, come in and hear of what is to come from a true, bona fide seer!".

Played By: Sammy
r_avatar

Helena Sun, The Daily Prophet

Magical ★ Journalist
The medieval town of Sighisoara had definitely been most foreign destination Helena's work had permitted her to visit. Not that she was complaining, she enjoyed the stark contrast between the parakeet green hills of Romania and the scampering city of London she knew as 'home'. The witch had been shipped to Romania with a gauzy handful of other journalists working on a story about ancestral Transylvanian vampire clans. She was boarding a room in a wizarding inn within the central district of town and had found herself stemming away from her colleagues for the evening, who didn't think much of exploring the history-rich area in favour of gouging on local food and cheap wine.

There was talk of the Bucket Bro's Travelling Carnival setting up camp on the outskirts of town and although Helena knew of the travelling circus well, she had never had the chance to visit. It seemed like a faultless plan. Meandering through the throngs of spectators and performers, Helena's attention fell upon a charismatic fortune teller. She found herself staring at the man, wondering if he really was a seer. The only seer she knew was Professor Trelawney who was despite her esoteric methods, one of Helena's favourite teachers. Divination had been an unanticipated strength during her schooling years.

Interest clearly plastered upon her narrow face, Helena made her way towards the exuberantly dressed fortune tellers tent. She hovered at the entrance, contemplating whether she really wanted to have her fortune told by a proclaimed bona fide seer.

Played By: melmaid

Hugh hadn't been at this long, but he could spot a mark when they wandered by. They would pause, glance up at his sign then look back to him in his get up - colorful and flamboyantly dressed. Maybe they'd cock their head to the side, or whisper something to their partner and point at him. Maybe they'd stiffen their spine and smile cockily. The interest played out in different ways, but it was interest all the same. And the girl who had stopped in front of his tent had it in spades.

"Bine ati venit, frumuseţe" He called to her, waving her closer. "Vorbesti engleza?" He inquired. You could never be sure, and his Romanian was still rusty. He knew introductions, how to complement his mark, and a few key divination words he'd picked out of a dictionary. For such a public facing gig, he had to find a way to manage the language barrier.

r_avatar

Magical ★ Journalist
Apparently Helena had seemed a little too interested in the debacle for to her horror the seer was now attempting to converse with her in Romanian. It was too bad that the witch knew next to damned nothing about the language.

"Uhhhh... English?" Helena responded with quivering uncertainty. She hoped, no... prayed that either he understood what she meant or didn't understand enough to leave her be.

Hugh chuckled - what good fortune. He'd managed to call out probably the one of the only native speakers at the carnival today.

"Aye, ma'am. I think I might be near fluent in that." He beckoned her again, this time in his chuckling Irish brogue. "Come, let me read your palm. Or maybe tarot is more your fair?" He looked her over again, smiling warmly. "Learn your future from a bona fide gypsy" Internally, he cringed at his own use of the word. His mother would string him up if she could hear him use it now. But, it was all apart of the show. "Learn what tomorrow holds for you from someone with the benefit of the Sight." He relaxed into the relative comfort of his sales pitch in English. He knew this one like the back of his hand. He wouldn't have to fumble over the strange words or flounder with unfamiliar turns of phrase.

r_avatar

Magical ★ Journalist
While it wasn't completely mortifying that the seer had now switched to a resonating Irish diction, it certainly startled Helena who was now peering curiously at the mans face. She couldn't tell what his ethnicity was, but it wasn't completely unreasonable that he could have, like her, come from across the English Channel.

Regardless of where he was from or what accent he could summon, Helena wasn't completely sold on whether he was well and truly a Seer. She crossed her arms and peered at him suspiciously. "But do you really have the sight?"

It had occurred to Helena that this man could very well be just another carnival worker hoping to add a bit of colour to the circus dynamic. It just so happened that she had some time to kill, and who knew? Maybe there was a story she would write out of all this.

"Oh, aye. I do. Passed to me from my very own grandmother, and from her aunt before her. I come from a long, long line of respected seers Miss. I don't have any documentation, mind." He smiled at her, "What would convince you aside from my word?" Most people fell into two categories - believers, or skeptics. Believers were easy marks, and could be brought in through his door with relative ease. Skeptics required a bit of work, but with the right combination of words Hugh could get them in his chair and forking over their cash. And it was easier that he wasn't lying. He did, in fact, have the sight. Passed to him from his mother's mother, in a long line of seers going back to a time well before living memory.

r_avatar

Magical ★ Journalist
Helena mused on his question for a minute. She didn't believe this so-called seer the slightest, but maybe it would be a bit of fun to humour him anyway. "If you're from a long line of... what did you call yourself? A bona fide seer? Well if you're from such a long line unalloyed and authentic seers, perhaps you could tell me your name? And what you're doing in this neck of Europe?"

"Aye, lass. Bona fide seers, the lot of us. Blessed, or cursed, with the sight depending on who you ask. My name is Hugh, ma'am. And I am employed by the carnival as their resident purveyor of fortunes and foretelling." he gestured widely around him at the small, mud trodden field Bucket Bros had set up shot in lately. "Would you like to sample my skills? I'm trained in the many mystical arts of divination. I can read a bit of your palm. Or some tea leaves, if that is more your interest." he motioned to the charmed pot behind him that kept the tea warm.

r_avatar

Magical ★ Journalist
Divination had been one of Helena's strong points back at Hogwarts. She wondered if Hugh had studied at the same institution as her, or whether what she was told in school mimicked the knowledge of a 'true' seer. Whether Hugh was a true seer or not, well he'd just have to humour her until she decided on whether he was a fraud or not.

"Alright then, Mr. 'Bona fide' seer. You've got a good selling voice." Helena eventually said after examining the vivaciously coloured tent for a doubtful moment. "Maybe some tea leaves then." It wasn't like Helena really had much to do with her time, and perhaps this peculiar experience could be somewhat like a souvenir for her time in Romania.

Hugh gave her a wink, then bowed deep, ushering her into his tent. "Wonderful, Miss. You won't regret it." Hugh sank into his routine. He pulled a cup out, buffed it a bit before sitting it on the opposite side of his little table with a flourish. "Please, please, have a seat." He motioned to the fancy, colorful chair reserved for clients before turning back to the magicked kettle. He took a deep breath - the selling part was always the easy part. Divination was the only subject he'd truly excelled at in school, and he honest to Merlin had the sight. But so much of this business was throwing a handful of darts at the wall and hoping they stuck.

Returning to the small table, he poured out a small cup of tea for his 'guest'. "Please, drink. Then we will get started." Slowly, Hugh replaced the kettle on it's pedestal and took a seat on his bare stool across from the woman. "Might I have your name, Miss. You've heard mine, and I'd rather call you by your name than "hey you", as it were."