A Magical Roleplaying Experience 

#34349  by Dino O'Sullivan

Location: The Forbidden Forest • Date: The first Saturday of school
Time of Day: Afternoon • Weather: Grey with a blanket of snow

Dino had thought about the unicorns during his winter break. Not like, every second of every day, but enough that they were still quite present in his mind. Feckin' ponies. They were wrong. Everyone had laughed in the class when he'd been the only lad the unicorns hadn't shied away from. Dino hadn't liked it. He'd been isulted to be singled out like that. What did these naff horses think they knew about him, anyway?

Right now, Dino was off to prove them wrong. Could you reason with unicorns? Who knew? Maybe give them a good scare, show them he was nothing cute, no one to be messed with, show them he was like all the other lads.

'I wish I'd worn boots today,' he said, turning his head around. That second of distraction was all it took for his foot to catch a root, and he tripped and fell.
Last edited by Dino O'Sullivan on 12 Jan 2020, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
 #34520  by Hermione Granger

"May I ask what on earth are you doing?"

Hermione Granger stood over Dino's splayed form, a jar of crackling bluebell flames clutched in one hand and a heavy Transfiguration textbook in the other. She was staring down at Dino with an expression somewhere between disapproval and bemusement on her face. She rolled her eyes.

"Never mind. Here, come on up," she said, placing her things down on a nearby rock to protect from the snow-covered ground, and offering her classmate a hand. "Why aren't you wearing boots?"
 #34524  by Dino O'Sullivan

'Aye, sure, ya may ask,' Dino replied, splayed on the ground and looking none too smart in his current position. He accepted his classmate's hand up, though she was much smaller than he was. 'Thanks Hermione.' He grinned at her as he brushed the snow from himself.

'Have ya seen my new guddies?' The Gryffindor asked in mock shock, holding his feet out for the younger girl to see his trainers. 'They're cracker. Why would I want to wear anythin' else?' He looked at the Prefect as though she'd fallen on her head. 'And I was just goin' for a dander, stretch the old legs... Nothin' suspicious.' The words themselves might be suspicious on their own, but that was nothing compared to the tone, Dino's face, and of course the fact that it was Dino saying them.
 #34530  by Hermione Granger

"Pleasure," said Hermione, raising an eyebrow. She looked down at Dino's soaked-through canvas trainers. "Just look a bit cold. And wet."

Hermione bent down to pick up her books and her jar, clutching each tight to her chest. As Dino chatted on, Hermione felt her Prefect senses go off one by one. She raised an eyebrow.

"Just a freezing walk in the very restricted Forbidden Forest doing... nothing suspicious," Hermione said, utterly suspiciously.
 #34532  by Dino O'Sullivan

Dino shrugged, attempting to give Hermione an innocent smile. By all accounts it was a failure. Dino had never been innocent in his entire life when it came to creeping around alone. Let alone in the Forbidden Forest.

That they are!' Dino replied, as though it were something to be proud of. 'D'ya have a spell for that in yer smart brain?' That would be nice. Wasn't that how people got sick? No one had ever died from the cold, obviously, but why risk being the first? Orla would know a spell, of course. Dino was the smarter twin, because he knew to hang around people who knew spells. And that was especially clever.

'Nothin' suspicious at all! Honestly, Hermione, ya should listen to yerself. Must be tirin', thinkin' the whole world is up to somethin' when they're just wantin' to...' Dino hadn't really thought his sentence to the end. 'Skip about?'
 #34638  by Hermione Granger

Hermione pursed her lips and drew her wand. She gave it a finnicky little wave so that hot air streamed out of the tip; she then pointed this at Dino's trainers, which began to steam as they dried out.

"You could try an Impervius to protect them on your skip back up to the castle," she said dryly. "Really, Dino, you should hear yourself. You know that the Forbidden Forest is out of bounds. Surely after seven opening feasts Professor Dumbledore has managed to impress that upon you."

Although now that she considered this was Dino they were talking about, Hermione was not entirely sure.
 #34644  by Dino O'Sullivan

Dino shook his feet as Hermione dried them out. 'Fresh guddies!' He exclaimed happily. The happiness was short lived as the Prefect began to tell him off. Bah, sounded like Orla, telling him his newest idea was ridiculous. Spoilsport. As it turned out, though, Hermione wasn't his twin sister. She was only the Gryffindor Prefect. That didn't mean anything, he didn't have to listen to her. Orla, on the other hand... He didn't really listen to her, either, but she could make much scarier eyes than anyone else.

'Skip back? What do you mean? Listen to yerself, Hermione! Ya make it sound as though I want to go back to the castle. Of course I know the Forest is out of bounds. I know what I'm doin'.' He sounded so self-assured. 'But yer here too, which means yer failin' to listen to Dumbledore as well, and frankly I'm shocked. I expected more from ya.' Dino shook his head. 'I won't tell anyone ya toed the line if ya come with me, I promise.'
 #34762  by Hermione Granger

Hermione's cheeks flushed immediately as Dino implied she was about to be breaking the rules just like he was.

"I needed bowtruckles!" she said shrilly, incapable of making this sound like not an awkward thing to say. "How am I supposed to learn my animal Transfigurations in time for our first-quarter exams if I haven't got anything to practice on? I know it's the first day of the semester, but Professor McGonagall says that if we don't start early --"

Hermione forced herself to clamp her mouth shut, or she'd stress herself into hysterics. She pursed her lips and drew a large breath. Her cheeks still burned.

"I just wanted to find a few and turn them into walking sticks and back. I was only going to go into the outskirts. So it's not really breaking the rules, not if it's for schoolwork...?"

Hermione tittered nervously on the ends of her toes, very aware of how guilty she sounded.
 #35134  by Dino O'Sullivan

Dino's grin only widened. He'd not really been egging her on, had he? It was just a gentle ribbing. But if she was intent on taking it so personally, then it was absolutely hilarious. And of course he would use it to make sure he didn't get in trouble too much. Rarely did opportunities present themselves so perfectly into his hands.

'Ach, sure, Hermione, but I don't think that's really kind to the Bowtruckles to do. I thought ya cared about elfish welfare! That's why I gave a Knut to S.P.E.W. like a million years ago. Cos I thought ya cared. But now yer bein' insensitive to Bowtruckle issues.' He was milking it for all it was worth, laying it on thick. He'd just given her some change so she'd leave him alone. Dino didn't feel it was up to wizards to decide what House elves needed or wanted. That should be left up to them.

'But like I said, if ya come with me, I won't tell anyone.' Creature welfare was important to Dino. As was his own welfare. Which was why he was going to go into the forest to intimidate some unicorns. As one does.
 #35233  by Hermione Granger

"Professor McGonagall changes back the animals she uses for her classes the minute the bell for the period rings. I've stayed back and helped quite often." Hermione said indignantly, sniffing haughtily and raising her chin.

"This is absolutely no different, and I'll thank you," Hermione added severely, "for your singular Knut and your heartfelt support for magical creatures' rights, which has been overwhelming from the start. I so cherish all the hats you helped knit."

Right as she knew she was, even so, her cheeks continued to burn. Oh, Hermione did not like the grin Dino was giving her. She made to stomp away, but as always, Dino seemed to know exactly how to take up just enough space. Between him and the tall, rope-limbed trees on either side of him, circumnavigation was impossible.
 #35237  by Dino O'Sullivan

Dino rolled his eyes. Of course Hermione Granger stayed after class to help the Professors. Of course she did. Eugh. And now she was all indignant, and annoying, and probably wasn't going to let Dino do whatever he wanted. Euuuuuuugh.

'Right, Hermione, if ya value the rights of house elves half as much as ya claim, ya'd let them make their own decisions rather than trick them. The way I see it, yer affirmin' that as a witch, ya know better than them what's good for them. But ya know, what do I know, I'm just yer underwhelmin' supporter.' Maybe that would help her calm down?

And then she was pacing around him, as though he was huge as a tree trunk and blocking the way. Ha. Well, if she couldn't leave, she had to do what he said, right?

'Ach, now stop arguin' and follow me, I can lead ya there if ya let me get to where I need to go.'
 #35317  by Hermione Granger

"You know exactly the right thing to say in every situation, don't you, Dino?" Hermione said scathingly. "May I ask just what exactly you are planning on doing in there?"

Dino seemed ready to set off into the black of the Forest to do Merlin knew what, beckoning her to follow. Hermione, however, stayed put right where she was. She had no intention of getting expelled on the first day of the term, and whatever ridiculous or dangerous business Dino wanted to get up to in the Forbidden Forest was his own funeral, no business of hers. Yet on the other hand... wasn't it her job as a Prefect to make sure that none of the younger (or more stupid) students were breaking the rules, or to at least keep them out of the grasp of centaurs or werewolves if all other efforts failed?

Hermione teetered uncertainly on her tiptoes as the sound of Dino's footsteps began to fade. Then:

"Oooh," she huffed, and she stomped off after him, rather forcefully jamming her Transfiguration textbook in her bag.
 #35320  by Dino O'Sullivan

'Ach, of course I do,' Dino replied bracingly, a wide grin spreading to his face. If Hermione gave Dino a chance to reply to him, he'd be naff not to take it. 'Aye, ya may ask.'

His grin widened. This wasn't much of an answer at all, and it was probably the most infuriating conversation the girl had had since last talking to Ron Weasley, but Dino didn't care. She was following him, in any case, so why should he be too bothered by any of it?

They'd get to where they were going, Dino would tell off a pack of poneys, and then, if Hermione behaved, he'd find her a Bowtruckle. Simple as that. Life was easy when you were Dino O'Sullivan.
 #35384  by Hermione Granger

Hermione could tell Dino was deriving great energy from pulling her chain. She pushed back her bushy hair and lifted her chin, refusing to take the bait.

One can at least admire his gall, Hermione thought wryly, if not his brains.

She and Dino trudged through the underbrush in silence. All too soon darkness had fallen over them, the eerie blue glow of Hermione's jar of bluebell flames the only light as they trudged deeper and deeper into the Forest. A strange echo like a rock fall sounded far off in the distance, a sound Hermione couldn't place.

"You didn't answer me where we were going," she said, eyeing the gaps between trees.
 #35386  by Dino O'Sullivan

Dino continued to trudge onwards, not in the least bothered by the fact he was not only in the Forbidden Forest, but also there while the light was quickly escaping. He'd been in the Forest like a million times, he was none too worried. What could possibly happen? It wasn't as though there was anything really dangerous in here. And so he was in a good mood.

'Ya didn't ask me where we were goin',' Dino replied without skipping a beat.