Thank you for participating in the Vaultoween Posting Party!!!
πŸŽƒ Total Pumpkin Points: 1040 πŸŽƒ
Community Prizes Unlocked: 20 + 4 Bonus Prizes

Our Vaultoween Celebration will continue through November 9, including the ghost scavenger hunt.
Click here to view the event overview!

There was a loud crack as Artemis apparated in the hallway of Apollo's building. Thanking every god in existence that he lived in a building with other magical folk, she walked quickly to his door and knocked on it loudly and repeatedly.

She hadn't realized how much the date would affect her until she opened her personal planner and saw it circled as it had been for months. Hestia's birthday. Her makeup was running, but she didn't care.

She just needed her brother.
Last edited by Artemis Browning on 11 May 2019, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

Played By: TyrellRose
A month ago, Apollo had asked his sister if they should spend May 20th together. She had said no, that she would be fine, and Apollo had left it alone after that. Their parents were out of the country and Demeter was off on some off-the-grid wilderness survival expedition (her way of grieving), so it was just the two of them. He had had his doubts, but with Artemis as... much as she was, Apollo hadn't questioned her. He had simply requested the day off as a personal day and made plans to sleep in and then spend the rest of the day in full self care mode.

And then the day arrived and he woke up at 9am to the sound of frantic knocking on his door. Rolling out of bed, Apollo grabbed a pair of fleece pants and stepped into them as he walked over to the door, catching sight of the calendar with the date circled on his fridge. Still shirtless, he opened the door to reveal his sister.

"You look terrible," he mumbled, stepping aside.

Artemis made her best approximation of a scowl, given that her eyes were bloodshot from crying and she still rather upset, before immediately pushing past her brother and heading straight for the fridge. She adamantly ignored the obvious calendar, opening it and pulling out two cans. Setting one on the counter, she opened the other and tipped her head back to take a long drink. Only then did she glance back at her brother, finally noticing that he was shirtless.

"Get some clothes on," she muttered, picking up the second can and handing it over to him.

He arched an eyebrow at her, taking the can and setting it on the sideboard along the wall. "I was sleeping in," Apollo countered, although he did go to the drying rack in the corner of his living room and take a clean shirt, pulling it on over his head. Then he retrieved his can and gestured for her to join him on the couch.

"Movie? Music? Chinese takeout?" he asked. All teasing aside, she clearly needed comfort, and he couldn't deny that he needed it too.

"Too bad," Artemis grumbled, rolling her eyes and taking another long drink. That didn't stop her from immediately going to sit next to him, curling her legs up underneath her and resting her head on his shoulder. Her can ended up on the coffee table.

"Movie, I guess," she mumbled, wrapping her arms around his right arm and holding on. She let out a little hiccup, turning her head to hide her face against his shirt. "Takeout later," came her muffled voice, followed by a sniffle.

Apollo let his sister attach herself to him, koala-style. It was something he was used to, and didn't mind. Besides, it was strangely comfortable. He stretched out, putting his can next to hers, and relaxed back against the back of the couch with his legs up on the coffee table.

"You're gonna have to--" he broke off as she moved her head. "Hey, don't wipe your nose on my shirt!" he exclaimed, shrugging his shoulder, although he was careful to keep his voice light.

"Not gonna," she mumbled against his shoulder, although Artemis did lift her head after saying it. Her twin was the only person she ever felt comfortable enough around to let her guard down.

"I want to watch Cadet Kelly," she said, sniffling still. "You still have it?" It had been a joke gift from her last Christmas.

Apollo laughed, slowly pulling his arm out of her grasp. "Of course I have it," he said, standing up and going to a shelf with all his movies. After running his finger across the titles, he finally came to the one he was looking for.

"Want anything to eat, or something a little more morning-appropriate to drink?" he asked while he was getting the movie set up. He figured he should ask now, so he didn't have to get up again later.

To her credit, Artemis only whined a little bit when Apollo tugged his arm from her. She sat up with a pout, watching him comb through the movies until he found it.

At his question, she shrugged. "French toast and coffee," she said, sticking her tongue out at him. Then she rose to her feet. "I'll get the mix ready."

She needed to stay busy. That would help. She was sure of it.

He hadn't expected her to actually help get the food ready, although he had expected she would ask for something more complex than toast or cereal. "Uh... okay," Apollo muttered, getting the movie set up and ready to go before joining her in the kitchen.

The moment Artemis got to the kitchen, she went to the fridge and pulled the calendar off of it, tossing it to a corner. Then she got the eggs and milk out, preparing the mix the way she liked it, with cinnamon.

Then, out of the blue, she sighed. "You think it's always gonna be like this? Holidays and this day, ruined?" she asked, suddenly.

He paused in the middle of getting a pan out, glancing over at her. "Not always. But this is the first year," he said, slowly, watching for her reaction. When nothing came, Apollo let out a sigh and moved over to start the coffee pot.

"I can't get her out of my head, though. I think about her a lot. Especially when I'm in the hospital," he admitted, swallowing a lump in her throat.

Artemis pressed her lips together, grabbing the bread and starting the French toast. "She's stuck in my head too. But it's strange, I... I don't know if I remember the sound of her voice anymore..."

As she said that, her voice cracked a bit and she sniffled. Then a sob broke loose and her tears started flowing again.

It was a good thing she started to cry, because Apollo had no idea how to respond to her. Instead, he quite literally dropped the container of ground coffee and ran across to his sister, wrapping his arms around her.

"I miss her," he mumbled, feeling tears pricking at the corners of his eyes. "So much..."

Artemis sank in his arms, sobbing against his shoulder, her own shoulders shaking. They stood like that for a while, until her tears subsided. Then her nose crinkled, and Artemis unpeeled herself from his arms. "Oh, shit," she murmured, looking over his shoulder at the burnt piece of toast.

A burst of laughter left her then, and Artemis squeezed her eyes together, wrapping her arms around herself.