Vault 713 Character Creation Guide
Ready to create your first character? Perfect! This guide will tell you everything you need to know, from start to finish. Once you create your first character you may find it easier to copy the character sheet templates directly from the forum, but we do expect all players to know and understand the character creation process before creating any new character, whether it’s your first or twenty-first!
Please note that characters have different activity requirements based on the type of character. For Original Characters and Supporting Canon Characters, the requirement is at least one in-character post per season. For Main Canon Characters, the requirement is three in-character posts per month. More information on our activity requirements can be viewed by clicking here.
Character Creation Requirements
The following requirements apply only to characters used in the Fixed Timeline Roleplaying forums. All players are welcome to start playing any character they choose in the Sandbox Roleplaying forums at any time without going through the sorting process!
- All new players can create one character of any type as soon as you are ready!
- Since all players receive one “free” character per season, your first character will count as this “free” character.
- Once your first character is in play, you will receive 50 Quills that you can spend to make new characters or on special abilities or features.
- Additional characters will cost 25 Quills each unless a special promotion is used, such as a donor rewards.
Existing Active Players
- All existing active players are eligible for one Free Season Character per season, which can also be used for a reactiviation instead.
- Additional characters will cost 25 Quills each unless a special promotion is used, such as a donor reward.
- Characters with our current Featured Era set as their Primary Era can be created for a cost of 20 Quills.
Returning Players with No Active Characters
- All former players who are returning to the Vault with zero active characters and who do not have an existing OOC Account will be treated as New Players and will be allowed one “free” character and 50 Quills as are normally allotted to new players.
- All former players who are returning to the Vault with zero active characters but who have an existing OOC Account will be allowed the usual Free Season Character and will receive two free reactivations in lieu of receiving 50 Quills. If the player has no inactive characters to be reactivated, no further rewards will be offered in exchange.
Additional Limits for Canon Characters
- In order to preserve a fair playing field, all players are limited to one Main Canon Character at any given time. We encourage players who wish to play multiple Main Canon Characters to explore doing so in the Sandbox roleplaying forums.
- There is no limit to the number of Supporting Canon Characters that can be played by any one member, but the Vault 713 staff reserves the right to restrict canon character creation for players who are repeatedly failing to meet canon activity requirements.
- Any player who is found to be portraying a canon character in a way that is contradictory to the Harry Potter series canon or the general rules and guidelines of Vault 713 will be issued one (1) warning explaining the issue and what needs to be corrected. If the issue is not adequately addressed, the Vault 713 staff reserves the right to remove the character from play and make it available to other players.
Character Creation Process
Creating a character at Vault 713 is very similar to the process on other play-by-post roleplaying forums or on tabletop roleplaying games, but if you’ve never played either style of roleplaying before we still feel you’ll find the process relatively simple and easy to understand. If at any point you have any questions, feel free to jump in to the #help channel on Discord or use the Help Desk section on the forums. (Guests are welcome to post here without registering, too!)
Step 2: Create Your Character!
In order to post your character, you will need to fill out a character sheet, which can be found in the Character Sheet Templates thread on the forums. We have three character sheets available, so you can choose the one that best fits your style. The Traditional/Questions format allows you to answer questions about your character to help get your inspiration flowing, the Detailed format follows the retro “fillable form” character application format, and the Freeform character sheet format allows you to establish your character in the way you best see fit.
- Character Sheet Templates – You will need to fill out a character sheet to be able to play your character
- Business Directory – If your character is magical (such as a witch or wizard) and employed, you will need to choose their employer
- Canon Character Availability List – If you intend to play a Canon Character, use this to see if they are available for play
- Business Directory Rosters – This listing can help you see who is employed at each business and if the position you want is available
- Wanted Character Classifieds – If you would like to play a character someone else has created you can view them here
Optional Step: Visit the Character Sheet Workshop
Not yet ready to play? Want feedback? Need some extra time to work on your sheet? Visit the Character Sheet Workshop to post your Work In Progress (WIP) sheet while you finish it! If you’d like feedback from staff or your fellow players, you’re welcome to ask for it here. Once you’re ready to be sorted, you can post a new thread in Create A New Character or you can report the WIP to be moved there
Step 3: Post your character sheet and get sorted!
Once you’re finished with your character sheet…
- Post it up in the Create A New Character forum – in your subject, please declare if it is an Original Character, Main Canon, or Supporting Canon
- Wait for a Vaultkeeper to “sort” your character – we look over all new character sheets just to make sure everything is in order!
- You may be asked to make some small edits or answer questions. If so, follow the instructions given by the Vaultkeeper.
- Once a staff member replies saying that you are good to go, you’ll be able to jump in and play as soon as you’re ready!
Hooray! You’ve created your character!
Congratulations! Now that you’ve created your character and are ready to play, you’re welcome to jump into the Fixed Timeline Roleplaying sections as soon as you’re ready. Remember, the timelines are fixed, so time travel is not possible. You are only permitted to play in eras in which your character would be alive, and you must play them at the age they would be in that specific era.
To help you get into the game, here are a few final resources to assist with the process of acclimating into the game and the community:
- Connection Classifieds – Establish connections, relationships, or roleplaying partners for your character
- Character Profile Directory – Post a profile for your character in whatever format or detail level you choose
- Fixed Timeline Classifieds – Browse or create plots and storylines to play out in the fixed timeline forums
- Story Starters – Get inspiration for threads by participating in challenges and story prompts