Site Admin

Sept. 3 —Welcome to the New Vault 713!

September 3rd, 2015, 9:54 pm

Welcome Back to Vault 713!

Merlin's beard, it's been a wild ride this year, but we're finally back and ready to dive back in to Harry's world!

While we do apologize for the length of time we had to keep the site offline this year, it's important to note for those of you that may have missed it that we spent the past month rebuilding the entire Vault from scratch. This is because we have upgraded our forum software to the latest version and moved to a new server that will hopefully address some of the loading issues that we recently had in the past. This was an incredibly time consuming process, and we appreciate how patient everyone has been while we finished everything up!

As such, this announcement is going to be a bit lengthier than usual, but please stick with us as we promise it is worth it and there is a lot of important information! Please know that we do also have a list of Known Bugs & Issues that we are still working on, and there are some visual changes that we still hope to make within the coming days to streamline the overall appearance of the site.

Oh, and don't forget: the current RP season spans from August 1 - December 31 in game, so feel free to catch up on some threads that address what your character was doing within the last few weeks prior to Start of Term even though August has passed!

New Features & Big Changes

Introducing OOC Accounts
    You aren't suffering from a disillusionment charm: every player now has an Out of Character account for collecting all of your private messages, plots, and for making it easier to see who you're chatting with in the community! Because this is such a big change, you can read all about it in this separate announcement.
Immerse Yourself in Each Era With Multiple Larger Avatars!
    You heard us right! Each era now has the ability for you to post a different avatar, allowing your character to be portrayed with a different appearance as they grow older or are played at a younger age. As a bonus, these avatars are now allowed to be 225 x 280, allowing you to show even more of your character's personality than before. Visit your User Control Panel to set your new avatars now. You can also set a single overall avatar, too, that will be shown in forums other than the specific era roleplaying sections.

A New/Old Approach to the Owl Post
    Based on a combination of member feedback and our newly updated forum software, the Owl Post feature now has a Special Forum for sending owls to one or more players. We plan to expand this forum within the next month or two to allow even more customizable options, so please keep an eye on the Bulletin Board!
American Education Moves to the Midwest
    Due to a change in member interests and recent information from J.K. Rowling that Salem Witches Academy was not, in fact, an actual educational institution, we announced earlier this year that we intended on retiring the school in favor of a new one. In Salem's place we have now brought on the Chicago Academy of Wizardry, or CAW. All current Salem students have been relocated to this school, and those with Salem in their backstory can choose to refer to an unnamed American school in the northeast, or change their backstory to assume that they attended either CAW, Beauxmont-Spindletop Academy in Texas, or Kalispell School in Montana. You can also read more information in the latest issue of The Niffler.
New Special Abilities Forms & Features
    In addition to the return of Special Ability Applications (which now have a much more friendly form and requirements that do not involve spending Quills in most cases) we have also introduced Skill Certifications, which are challenges that let you show off your character's prowess with different magical abilities and use those skills to move up in their career and earn new special abilities. You can view all of the new features and changes related to these things in the Special Abilities & Add-Ons forum.
A New/Old Approach to the Career Center!
    We have returned to a tried and true method of approaching character jobs, which can be viewed in our new and improved Character Career Center! New jobs will be posted weekly and can be applied for simply by posting a reply to the announcement thread. We will also be introducing a revised system for applying for constantly-open jobs within the next few days, and Job Promotions and New Business Creation will be handled on a quarterly basis and will next be conducted around October 1, 2015. More information on this will be released as we approach the beginning of the quarter.
Make a Connection With Call to Arms!
    Ever wanted to know just how many other characters are out there that might get along with your character? Head on over to our new Call to Arms forum where every week we wil do a call out for characters of a certain era and group to reply and network with one another. Call to Arms posts will remain open for several weeks so that you can make connections and plan out threads, then they will be locked to make room for new ones. We will begin taking member suggestions for Call to Arms posts in the coming weeks.
Gotta Get Back to Hogwarts… Or Your School of Choice!
    After a long year without lessons, we have a new and revamped Classes & Lessons forum that makes it easy for all players who have student characters to participate in lesson based RP without having to wait on a busy lesson thread to wrap up. New lesson challenges will be posted regularly and these will go toward your Skill Certifications, so be sure to jump in whenever you can!
Share Your Music and Your Muse!
    To address what seems to have become a favorite pastime of just about every Vault member, we've set up a new Share a Playlist forum where you can post your character and mood inspired playlists to share with the rest of the Vault. If you're looking for inspiration for a thread, you can browse playlists that others have posted and enjoy the music!

Changes, Updates, & Fixes

• RP Classifieds now offer the option of being replied to. Replies will close after 3 days.

• RP Classifieds no longer require quills for multiple submissions. Submissions will reopen Sunday, September 6.

• The "Job Catalog" has been renamed to be the Business Directory.

• Based on member feedback and an assessment of our new layout, we have disabled images in signatures.

• The News Stand will be operating on a new submissions schedule that features three news posts per week instead of one.

• The old Vault 713 forums can be accessed at http://www.vault713archives.com/roleplay/ - links to the full archives will be made available on the forums themselves within the next few days.

Other Important Information

• Topic attributes are currently not available because we are waiting on the code we use to come out of beta mode. Please refer to the guides at the top of each forum for how to label your threads.

• Achievements will return on October 1 as we rework the system, challenges can still be completed in that time.

• Sign-ups for special factions, such as the Death Eaters and Wizarding Expedition Society, along with school clubs such as the Quidditch and Prefect Clubs will be held on a quarterly basis and will next be conducted around October 1, 2015.

• The monthly donation goal has been raised to $150 to better reflect our new server & domain name and related expenses.

• The forum sidebar has currently been disabled for mobile users to avoid a disastrously messy viewing experience. The sidebar on the main website is still accessible on mobile, however.

• Character creation will resume on Sunday, September 6.

What Now? / What's Next?

As you may have noticed, we've done a lot and there are even quite a few new changes that haven't even been outlined here, as far as how the site is laid out is concerned. If you see something that is messed up, broken, or really doesn't look right, please visit the Help Desk to let us know. If you have general feedback about the new layout and features, you can leave it on the Anonymous Feedback form.

As far as what we have planned for the next few weeks:
  • Further streamlining the layout of the Vault to remove any bugs, errors, or weird glitches in the general appearance.
  • Reopening character creation and several other features on September 6, 2015
  • PMing all August donors with regard to their pending donor rewards
  • Updating the archived forums to be more accessible
  • Hiring a new wave of Community Ambassadors

Thank you for your patience, and here's to a great Fall/Winter Season!

Active Character
View Profile • Played by
England

Re: Sept. 3 —Welcome to the New Vault 713!

September 3rd, 2015, 10:33 pm

This is all very exciting guys! A lot of the stuff I don't quite grasp yet and have to explore more, but I'm excited to figure it all out! And I'm very happy about the Call To Arms section! I think that could be great! And of course the avatars that change per era!

Active Player

September 3rd, 2015, 10:36 pm

I've already read this once, and I think I need to read it again when my head's no longer spazzing! Still, I wanted to comment!

The layout/theme looks stunning! Really stunning! And I love the notifications and I'm geeking out over the sleekness of the site as well!

CAW sounds awesome and I so want to make a student there now! There's just so much new stuff I want to geek out over that I think I'll have to phase it out so I don't hurt myself.

Anyhow. The site looks awesome and kudos to the staff for the AMAZING work you've done! I can't wait to poke around and find all the new nooks and crannies and get lost someplace!

SO SO SO SO SO GLAD VAULT IS BACK AND A BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG THANK YOU TO THE STAFF FOR BEING MADE OF AWESOME!

Active Player

September 3rd, 2015, 11:08 pm

Awesome work, team!

In other news, why no, Natasha has not been saying she went to Salem for the past three months...what on earth are you talking about. She's always gone to her hometown school....yes..,,,

Active Player

September 4th, 2015, 12:04 am

WOOOOOOOOOO

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I AM SO EXCITED HOW COOL IS EVERYTHING
Oh no, love! You're not alone
You're watching yourself but you're too unfair
You got your head all tangled up but if I could only
Make you care
Oh no, love! You're not alone
No matter what or who you've been
No matter when or where you've seen
All the knives seem to lacerate your brain
I've had my share, I'll help you with the pain
You're not alone

Vaultkeeper

September 4th, 2015, 12:49 am

The everything to do with avatars is AMAAZIINNNG.

Also, I'm lovin' the new "theme" as I'd call it, haha.
Victims This Season:
Binxy, Blue, deraforia, Dizzy Izzy, Elle, Ever, Jason, Jordan, Kay, Luke, Mel, Morgana, MPaul, Silverstream, Tsarina, tundratown
PM me for RP! ALL ERAS AVAILABLE!

diamond cutter shaped
heartaches

Mar
Active Player

September 4th, 2015, 1:46 am

“Most everyone lived twice in those days. They echoed their own steps. They took one step in the real world and one in their space. They saw double, through eyes and monocle displays. They danced through worlds like veils.” ― Catherynne M. Valente, Silently and Very Fast

busy - posting slowly

Cat
Active Player

September 4th, 2015, 4:16 am

Like Vildea, I think I need to read this again to truly wrap my head around all the awesome work you guys have put into the vault. I love it! Fab work, team! We love you <3

Community Ambassador

September 4th, 2015, 6:58 am

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

*Happy screaming*
Employees needed!

Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man.
But sooner or later the man who wins,
Is the man who thinks he can.

Active Character
Played by Elle
England

September 4th, 2015, 10:46 am

Yayyyyy!!!! Forget the wait, it was definitely worth it! All the new features look awesome...and I am totally in love with the new site!

:D hugs to all the staff who have clearly done an amazing job!

Active Player

September 4th, 2015, 8:23 pm

Love the new layout, very streamlined! Can't wait to give it a roll. :D

Active Player
Canada

September 6th, 2015, 1:33 pm

Mel, if that's what I think it is, my brother loves that book.

As for everything else, awesome job, guys! The new Vault looks great! I had fun picking out my player avatar.
I am a metamorphmagus.

Return to “Bulletin Board”