Welcome back! Make sure you catch our latest updates at the link below.

November 19 - And We're Back!
Site Admin

Mar. 20 — A Fresh Look for Spring  New Content!

March 20th, 2016, 10:12 pm

Welcoming Spring With A Fresh Look!

Thank you all so much for your continued patience during our downtime! We know that it can be frustrating to not have access to the forums and to your threads, but the whole staff has been working hard to bring you some much needed updates and upgrades... along with a few brand new features that we're pretty excited about, and hope you will be too!

Oh, and don't forget: the current RP season spans from December 15 to April 30 in game, so we will be approaching the end of the season before you know it! That doesn't mean there isn't plenty of time to get some new stories in, though, so go ahead and post away!

New Features & Big Changes

Completed & Answered Tags for Roleplaying Forums and The Help Desk!
    While we are still working on establishing a solution for our missing Topic Attributes that we previously used to label threads based on location, we've solved one problem: you can now mark threads as completed (and lock them!) with just one click, which works in both the roleplaying sections and in the Help Desk to let us know that you've received a useful answer. For more information on how thread archival works now (which is still largely the same, with the addition of the new markers) please check out this tutorial.

The Owlery has a brand new look!
    Though we have had some rough (and inconsistent) plans with revamping the Owlery this year, after assessing the current Owl Post situation and the needs of players here at the Vault, we've introduced a brand new system that works similar to our News Stand and Classifieds submissions, where players can submit their owls to be posted in a group Mail Call for everyone to read. These will be posted on a very regular basis and this now introduces the option for you to send anonymous owls to different players or to owl businesses... so we think it will be very helpful! Visit the Owlery now to learn more or send an owl.

You can now browse characters by their nationality or home country!
    If you've visited the Forum Index today, you might have noticed the large collection of flags at the bottom of the forum! These can be used either to denote your character's nationality or heritage, or if you choose, you can use it to denote which country they are living in and call home. While we currently have no way to assign multiple countries based on eras or mixed heritage, we think that this will be a great way to help locate other characters that your character might know while showing off the diversity of characters across the entire Vault. As a bonus, your flag will also show under your character's information on each post! You can visit your User Control Panel and edit your profile to assign your character's flag, and a tutorial for this will be available soon!

There's a new issue of the Sunday Snitch!
    And it's better than ever! Did you know that each week the Sunday Snitch includes a list of threads that need replies, helpful plot ideas, important announcements, and more? Recently we've also added a special feature that lets you gain extra Quills while visiting one of our spotlight sections... and you never know, you could earn some surprises from answering our Question of the Week, too! Be sure you head over to the Bulletin Board every Sunday (or Monday!) to check out that week's issue, or click here to read this week's Sunday Snitch right now!

Changes, Updates, & Fixes

• RP Classifieds will now remain open for replies for a week, up until the next Classifieds listing is posted.

• Links in forum descriptions, forum rules, & posts changed to a brighter color to stand out better.

• "Fixed Timeline Roleplaying" forum expanded into a full category to be viewable from the forum index.

• "Exploratory Roleplaying" forum expanded into a full category to be viewable from the forum index.

• "The Owlery" moved under the "Story Hub" forum.

• Many forum descriptions have been updated to be easier to read and/or more compact for ease of access.

• Many forums were given special markers to help identify recent or important updates and posts.

• If you reply to this thread with your favorite new feature or update, 3 Quills will be added to your OOC account.

• The forum index now lists accounts active and posts made over the last 24 hours.

• Plot pages have been updated to include all recent Call To Arms, Job Center, & News Stand postings for that era.

• The sidebar on the forums has been updated to include additional useful information for players.

• The Community Ambassador Headquarters has been relocated to the top of the forum index. (Ambassadors Only)

• If you reply to the March 20th Sunday Snitch and answer the Question of the Week, 2 Quills will be added to your OOC account.

• A "Bulletin Board Archives" forum has been created for old Bulletin Board announcements.

• A "News Stand Archives" forum has been created for old news publications.

• An "Owl Post Archives" forum has been created for owl post messages made using the old Owlery system.
What Now? / What's Next?

As you may have noticed, we've done a lot and there are even quite a few things that were tweaked behind the scenes. If you see something that is messed up, broken, or really doesn't look right, please visit the Help Desk to let us know. If you have general feedback about the new layout and features, you can leave it on the Anonymous Feedback form.

As far as what we have planned for the next few weeks:
  • All donor rewards for February will be sent out and caught up to date.
  • A survey will be available for donors to help us decide what future rewards should look like.
  • Plot pages will be further streamlined to be more useful and easier to read.
  • Further updates are planned for the Business Directory to make it more useful and easier to read.
  • A new achievement system will be introduced so we can resume rewarding Challenges as normal.

Happy Spring, Happy Roleplaying, and we'll see you in the Wizarding World!

Active Character
United States of America

Re: Mar. 20 — A Fresh Look for Spring

March 21st, 2016, 12:45 am

Personally, I like the sidebar updates, as I'm a slacker and like getting my news / interesting topics to search for fed to me as easily as possible, and this helps greatly. XD

Great work admin team--you guys rock!

Active Character
England

March 21st, 2016, 9:50 am

I really like that we can lock our own threads. It seems like it would really help out the staff for one thing, and then on the other hand some times when I go through and report my threads I forget which ones I reported and which I didn't (if I'm doing them over a few days) so this also makes it more clear and efficient for me! Yay!

The owl post I have two minds about. Usually when I use it it's part of a story where it needs to be read and replied to and Leads to a thread at once, so haveing to wait a few days for it to post gets rid of that, but on the other hand I like the idea that we will be reading through the different owl posts, seeing what others wrote, maybe seeing surprise Owls we weren't expecting. So I guess it's just a different way of looking at how to use it in the future.

The flag thing is pretty fun, though now I'm already thinking though my characters and trying to figure out if I go with ethnic heritage or country they live in... Hmmm... So much to think on. You know maybe if there is just one flag under the avatar there could be a way to put multiple in someone's character profile? Because I can see where having five flags under a characters name gets a bit awkward, but it could be fun in the expanded character profile to use some code to put them all up. I don't know. Just a though.

Also like that it says there are special marks for updates in some forums. I miss updates all the time because I don't go to the cbox much. Should help.

Those were my fave. Everything else cool to. Thanks guys!

Active Player

March 21st, 2016, 11:18 am

Okay so my favorite thing is the flag. It's kind of hilarious and awesome, and actually helps? Cause now we know who is where and what. Connection can be made that way and I think it's yas. THE ONLY way that flag thing can improve is if it were centered and not oddly to the side. But I don't blame you guys for that, I blame the forum stuff. Coding is hard yo.

Always love updates - though not the downtime admittedly - good work! :)
diamond cutter shaped
heartaches

Site Admin

March 21st, 2016, 11:28 am

Natasha Porter wrote:Personally, I like the sidebar updates, as I'm a slacker and like getting my news / interesting topics to search for fed to me as easily as possible, and this helps greatly. XD

So glad you like it! :) I love grabbing quick links from the sidebar, so it's always good to see other people enjoy it too.

Simon Cleary wrote:You know maybe if there is just one flag under the avatar there could be a way to put multiple in someone's character profile? Because I can see where having five flags under a characters name gets a bit awkward, but it could be fun in the expanded character profile to use some code to put them all up. I don't know. Just a though.

As of right now, this isn't something we can do with our code, but you're welcome to put different flags in your character's profile in the Directory in the mean time! If you have any other ideas for how we can use or improve this feature, I also encourage you to take them to the Anonymous Feedback because it's always good to know what people are really liking and how we can improve on it to expand it in the future.

Robert wrote:THE ONLY way that flag thing can improve is if it were centered and not oddly to the side. But I don't blame you guys for that, I blame the forum stuff. Coding is hard yo.

Hey Rob, this is actually supposed to be centered and is centered on all of the staff browsers; would you mind posting a message in the help desk with information on what browser you are using and a screenshot to show us what's up? I also suggest doing a hard refresh (CTRL+F5 on Windows) and that might help resolve your specific issue.

Coding is hard, but we want things to look as good as possible, so usually chances are if something doesn't look right it isn't supposed to look that way. :) That said, it's very common for Safari to reject even the best written code at times, so if that is your browser and the look of the flags bother you, you may want to consider using a different browser instead. It is also possible that some things will look different (or less pretty) on mobile than they do on a regular computer.

Active Player

March 21st, 2016, 11:53 am

*Admin Manda wrote:
Robert wrote:THE ONLY way that flag thing can improve is if it were centered and not oddly to the side. But I don't blame you guys for that, I blame the forum stuff. Coding is hard yo.

Hey Rob, this is actually supposed to be centered and is centered on all of the staff browsers; would you mind posting a message in the help desk with information on what browser you are using and a screenshot to show us what's up? I also suggest doing a hard refresh (CTRL+F5 on Windows) and that might help resolve your specific issue.

Coding is hard, but we want things to look as good as possible, so usually chances are if something doesn't look right it isn't supposed to look that way. :) That said, it's very common for Safari to reject even the best written code at times, so if that is your browser and the look of the flags bother you, you may want to consider using a different browser instead. It is also possible that some things will look different (or less pretty) on mobile than they do on a regular computer.

I'm actually on a school computer. Which MIGHT just be the source of the problem as we all know school computers are hardly the most up to date. My laptop unfortunately is all jank and dead (again x_x) so I won't be able to tell you if it looks fine on an updated computer or not for a while. That being said, the hard refresh didn't work and I am not using Safari and never have haha.

I'm currently using Firefox. :)
diamond cutter shaped
heartaches

Active Player

March 21st, 2016, 2:59 pm

Excited for all the new content, the Flags are an AWESOME addition! :D

Active Character
England

March 21st, 2016, 4:17 pm

*Admin Manda wrote:

I have the same issue. the flag is to the left under the avatar instead of centered. I also use Fire Fox so that must be where the issue is.

Active Player

March 21st, 2016, 8:20 pm

Ah. See. Now I'm at home on girlfriends laptop with google chrome and it's showing in the center. So, I think Firefox is the problem.
diamond cutter shaped
heartaches

Active Player

March 22nd, 2016, 11:32 am

I like what we have going here! I think the feature I love the most is being able to complete and lock your own threads. It's so simple and yet efficient. That helps everyone around the board.

The flag idea is very cool. Knowing nationality should help boost threads in itself. Being able to find characters and start threads based on where you're from or where you live with just the click of a flag is pretty awesome.

I'm not sure how I like the owlery change. I'm on the fence about it, but I think it might work out well. I'll have to post to it a couple of times to get used to it though.

Active Player

March 23rd, 2016, 2:59 pm

Is it horrible that my favorite update is the Ambassador Forum being moved to the top so I don't forget about it all the time?

I've no feelings about the flags just yet, but we'll see when I get around to actually adding them to all of my character accounts.
Character Timelines

Active Player

March 24th, 2016, 3:08 pm

Jesse wrote:Is it horrible that my favorite update is the Ambassador Forum being moved to the top so I don't forget about it all the time?

Truth

Active Player
England

March 28th, 2016, 12:23 pm

Totally LOVE the new flags :D
you either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain
sleep all day. party all night. never grow old. never die
cry 3 tears for me

Active Player

March 30th, 2016, 11:06 pm

"Fixed Timeline Roleplaying" forum expanded into a full category to be viewable from the forum index." "Exploratory Roleplaying" forum expanded into a full category to be viewable from the forum index.

I have to admit that this feature(s) is probably my absolute favorite because now I can see the most recent thread posts from each era, which is very useful when you have multiple characters or when you have one character active in multiple eras. Overall it's just more user friendly and organized, making it that much more enjoyable.
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena"
― Theodore Roosevelt

Return to “Bulletin Board”